Thread: Hard Water

Length
    13.5/13.5/19

Default Hard Water

I have hard water I clarify 2x a month which i dont like to do because i shampoo 2x a month. So im basically washing my hair weekly when i use to only wash 1month and clarify 1 month. Is it necessary this much? Do you think my cowashes and deep conditioners make up for the extra washing? Also do you think its ok to clarify with a cheap brand like vo5 or should i invest into something my pricey. My favorite line is NTM. Anyone knows of a better clarifier

Length
    19 in/30in/Floor
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Hard Water

Have you tried a shower filter? My hair felt softer when I used one.

Type
    1a/M/ii

I read in one of the treads (don't remember which one, sorry) that an ACV wash can prevent buildup from hard water

Length
    waist/TB/long

I have very hard water. What works for me is to finish every hair wash with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, which I don't rinse out. Just pour it all over, and done!

Length
    Pob!/SL/BSL+
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have very hard water. What works for me is to finish every hair wash with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, which I don't rinse out. Just pour it all over, and done!

Doesnt it smell vinigary? I would like to try, but i cant stand the smell of vinegar!
    - Chin - Shoulder - Collarbone - midway between SL and APL - APL when my arms are lifted up! - APL - BSL -

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

The vinegar smell fades after your hair dries. You don't need to use much vinegar. Just dillute a small amount in water.

You could also try washing your hair with distilled water. Since you wash so infrequently, you wouldn't need to be buying water constantly.
    *I'm opting out of the "friends" option for the time being...
    chin--flip--shoulder--APL--BSL--waist

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

A citric acid rinse won't smell at all. You might also try "miracle water." Here's the link to that thread: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=51184

Length
    crop/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have hard water, and I use a final rinse of a splash of vinegar in about 2 cups of water.

I have used both apple cider vinegar and white vinegar with equally good results.

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I second (third? fourth?) a final vinegar rinse, I use plain white. I use about 3 tablespoons in 1 gallon of cold water (I saved an empty vinegar jug and it sits by my "full" jug by the shower, and I just fill 'er up while I wait for my running water to get warm). Also, I add a pinch of baking soda to my shampoo-diluting bottle before I add my wee bit of (whatever) shampoo... and water.

Just remember that if you're using baking soda and vinegar in close quarters and such that mixing the two has a volatile reaction. Therefore you don't want to mix them upon your person.

ETA: If you're concerned about frequent washes, you could try a CWC method as well.
    Last edited by clichepithet; August 4th, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: to add!

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

How do you differentiate between "shampooing" and "clarifying"? Can you combine the two?