Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How damaging is straightening your hair every other day?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How damaging is straightening your hair every other day?

My hair is at 2 and half inches so far and I am going to grow it out to about 6 inches and keep it at that length. How damaging is straightening your hair every other day? I mean I am gonna cut it regularly to keep it at that length.

This is about 6 inches right? http://haircrazy.info/gallery/spikes/4134/ Thats what I want to do

Also any interesting styles I can do now till it grows in, its kinda ll over curling right now at only 2 inches and really curly in the back O_o...

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How damaging is straightening your hair every other day?

From what I understand, there are ways to minimize damage from straighteners: keep it at a low temperature, run it quickly over the strands once, and use heat protectants. Also doing it less often will help.

That hairdo looks wild! I hope you have fun with it

As for cute in-between styles, maybe some cute barrettes or a headband or scarf?

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

If you're only planning to keep it at 6 inches, then you can pretty much do whatever you want to it You'll be trimming it enough to keep the worst damage trimmed off as fast as it happens.

But, to answer your question straightening it that often is *very* damaging.

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

What would be a low temperature? I am new to this I had short spikes and tall mohawks my whole life, Hope this looks good on a guy lol.

Length
    Bob/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

It's hard to say without knowing your texture. Fine-haired people have to be more careful, while those with coarse hair can be a bit more lax. Since I've never used any kind of iron on a regular basis, I can't say for sure. It's likely enough that you could get away with it and disguise any damage with good conditioners and styling products.

I think styling products are your friend right now, even though the rest of us normally abhor them. Gel, wax, or pomade, depending on the amount of hold you want, are all good options. A drying gel and a quick rub with the towel might bring out the curl and give a messy look, if you don't mind that.
    Last edited by Beatrice; July 26th, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Sorry, didn't see the gender in your profile!

Length
    24/24.25/38
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I would say the hair in that picture looks like the layers are between two and three or four inches.
    buzz/ear/chin/shoulder/APL/BSL/waist/tailbone

My hair is medium thickness I would say, not thin for sure.

Type
    1b/M/ii

For me it was very damaging. I used to straighten my hair when it was at chin length every second day and now it is at APL and I still have damage from straightening it. Of course those are only the ends, but straightening it is a bad habit to get into if you`re trying to avoid damage.

Eh, straighten the hell out of it if you're cutting it regularly! Have fun!!

Length
    .05/25.5/45
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

I did the same thing when my hair was around pixie length. In a previous post I mentioned that I nearly had a new hair color every week, (I had a vegetable dye that literally stayed in maybe 7-14 washes from Hot Topic) which required bleaching my hair a lot since I'm a dark brunette. I really felt like the damage was minimal. I know it sounds weird, as damaged hair is damaged hair, but it was only when I grew it out beyond my ears that I could see and feel a difference. I ended up hacking it off because the top felt very nice and the bottom felt like straw. I think when you have a drastic half of head of damage is when you can really tell. lol.