Thread: Don't Be Fooled by These Hair-Care Myths

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Don't Be Fooled by These Hair-Care Myths

Quote Originally Posted by Angeletti View Post
    no straw hair here : ) I've been coloring my hair for 12 years.
    You are so lucky. Even just going a shade lighter than my natural color and doing roots-only (NEVER pulling through to the ends), COing, no wet brushing, and constant bunning, I had straw hair from even the best colorants. I think it really depends upon the person.

I currently use henna and indigo and don't get any damage from those though I've heard from people who have had dryness and other problems.

Definitely is an individual thing, whether chemical or natural colors.

Length
    Short/BCL/Long
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have always found hair dye damages and dries my hair out.

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I think how damaging dye is for your hair depends on your starting hair type. It absolutely wrecks mine, but I have baby fine hair. I can get away with it until about shoulder length and that's it.

Getting closer...

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think for *some people* frequent trims do help because their hair maybe splits and breaks off extremely easy. I know somebody who's hair starts splitting almost immediately after trims.

I don't get the fine and flat hair one either. Where does straight hair come into it??

I also disagree with the cold water. I always found cold water made my hair a bit shinier and more managable.

And the lather, rinse, repeat. I've gotten my hair squeaky clean without doing that. I NEVER repeat when washing hair (unless washing out heavy oils or henna, but I am using conditioner when I do that).

I think damage is relative. Will everyone's hair look like a dry broom? No. Will it be the healthiest silkiest it could possibly be? Probably not. If you take very good care of your dyed hair and can hardly tell the difference between how your dyed hair feels and how your virgin hair feels, I don't know if I'd call that "damaged". Maybe "altered". Combing can snap and tug at your hair "damaging" it. But it's not so "damaging" that everyone who's concerned with hair health/length stops combing.

I know for me, when I used black dyes, my fine hair felt thicker and more resistant to breakage. It's certainly not the case for everyone though. I now stick to natural dyes, because I find the color lasts longer and I'm trying to limit my use of synthetic chemicals. And as for cold water rinsing, I can't do without it. I do notice a difference. That is one of the first "healthy hair practices/tips" that I learned and it really helped me to detangle my 3c/4a curls. There's less "roughness" and snagging.

Some people really benefit from light trimming. I know if I don't keep my ends smooth by trimming off splits ends, my hair tangles at the ends and I end up losing that inch or inch and a half. It makes more sense for me to snip off a cm. every so often. But, once again, not everyone's hair works the same.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

The only thing a cold rinse does is make me hate washing my hair. It does nothing to increase shine on my hair.

As for damage from dyes, if one is only going to shoulder or BSL, I am betting most people can have healthy looking hair at that length and still dye if they are careful to avoid other damaging hair care routines. I think what makes people end up with straw hair is dyes AND heat AND hairspray, etc.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Myth: You can't make flat, fine hair look full of body.
    Truth: Five minutes with a set of large hot rollers will add life to straight hair.

Well im sorry but I could leave them in all day with lots of hairspray and my hair still wouldnt hold a curl!

Length
    shldr/Waist/hip?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Did any one read the comments?

One hairdresser said people need a trim every 8 weeks (even long haired people) and a trim should take off 2-3 inches. "Trust me I know what I'm talking about."

REALLY?!!! 2 inches per 8 weeks is 13 inches a year, 3 inch trims equals 19 1/2 inches per year lost! She even said she knew hair grew 1/2 inch per month (6 inches per year)!!! At that rate a tailbone length hairstyle will be up to shoulders or ears in no time flat!!

With hairdressers like these no wonder a lot of people think they can't get hair to grow!!

Length
    15/30.5/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Ugh! I was a bit horrified by this article!

-I agree with most of the posters regarding dyes. Although, yes, there are many folks whose hair does not suffer from the effects of dyes, I think the article is down right misleading as it implies that dyes flat out are gentle enough to not cause damage at all. How can they make such a blanket statement straight across the board?!?! It seems obvious to me that there are too many factors going on between the product itself, the condition/type of hair being dyed, knowledge of person performing the task, etc.

-I also disagree that one's shampoo/conditioner will work the same infinitely. Again they fail to mention different scenarios related to S&C. Seems to me like it is not just "product" users that occasionally suffer from buildup and benefit from a periodic clarifying treatment.

-I was also not impressed with the way the article just debunks the cold water rinse myth without explaining the theory behind the myth. Do they think readers are too dense to absorb the concept of hair shafts, cuticle positions, etc?!?! Insulting!!

-Ugh! Same goes for the 100 brush stroke myth. Didn't even mention the history behind the myth, the fact that people did not have the same hair washing habits/products as today, the idea behind using boar bristles to clean hair and redistribute oils to end when washing and conditioning was not a regular option, etc. Not to mention the fact that there are so many people world wide getting back in touch with this hair care method!

Overall I felt that this article over simplified and dumbed down the information. They're professionals...give us the benefit of some good, solid, backed up information! Maybe they should have started by researching LHC first!

Well thanks all for reading and letting me have a little soap box moment! It was fun, hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. Long live lovely hair nerds!!!

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I can't argue with any of it.
    Me either. It was short, simple and to the point.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights