Thread: Need help...straight hair that won't hold curl

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Question Need help...straight hair that won't hold curl

Hey all, this is my first post on LHC (hope that I am posting in the right place). I have fine, straight hair that does not seem to want to hold curl for very long. What methods &/or products do you recommend to get your hair to hold curl? I don't like to heat-style or use a lot of product (makes my hair a gunky, gnarly mess) but would like any recommendations that you may have for my hair type. Thanks a bunch.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Need help...straight hair that won't hold curl

I have stick straight very fine thin hair. If I try to style with hot rollers or anything else, the curl falls out in 10 minutes.

However, the curls in my sig pic were very easy and non-damaging. I applied a little bit of leave-in conditioner spray to my dry hair, and rolled it on "wrap snap n go" rollers from walgreens, and slept in them. They are basically just a glorified rag roller. You can look in my album for more pics, to see how well they work on my hair.

Good luck!

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

My hair holds a curl a lot better than it used to (it's a wee bit coarser and wavier), but when I was 15 or so it was horrible trying to get it to hold a curl. What I found worked best was braiding (or however you plan to curl your hair) slightly damp hair. It shouldn't be too damp, or it won't dry and the curls would just fall out.

Aloe vera gel (the clear, 99% aloe stuff) helps to hold a curl, and it usually doesn't make hair too gunky. Just use it like regular hair gel, or perhaps mix it with a bit of oil (like coconut oil).
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yup, what both thems said. Rag rolls and mixing just a tad of (clear, plain, straight-up) aloe gel with just a dab of oil (I like sweet almond for it). Clean dry hair, add your aloe and oil, wrap & sleep on 'em. Woohoo!

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Thanks for the great advice! I just ordered some aloe gel. Can't wait to try it!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

This is my hair to a tee. Personally I just leave mine straight as after much tears over not having curls I accepted that straight hair is nice too. My hair just didnt respond to heat styling at all so i stopped doing it as i wasnt styling i was damaging it.

TIPS THAT I CANT VERIFY WORK
    If you want curls just twist little sections into mini buns as tight as you want the curl and secure with a bobby pin. You are best doing this the night before with damp hair. No styling prods needed. Sometimes when my hair was crazy long I used to put my hair into lots of one inch plaits to create a sort of "wavy crimped look".

I stopped trying styles as im vowing to just leave my hair alone atm so it can be happy and grow as shiny as possible.

Anyway it works a treat on that really stubbornly straight hair and costs nothing!
    xxx