Thread: Indoor lights and hair color?

Length
    Pixie/SL/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Indoor lights and hair color?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but yesterday my daughter had a Dr.'s appointment. I used the bathroom that was lit up with fluorescent lighting. While looking in the mirror, I was very surprised how different the coloring looked vs the look of my hair in my bathroom lights.

In my bathroom, I see so much warmth/red. I've been trying to tone my hair back to it's natural ash color. I thought my toning didn't work very good.

But, under the fluorescent lights, I saw a lot of a greenish/silvery moss color!! No red whatsoever!

What type of light bulbs are most accurate? I never even thought of this until yesterday...but if one was to color their hair, they need to see the hair color as accurate as possible.

I know outdoors is best...but my bathroom is not out doors. I'm wondering if I should switch out the light bulbs in my bathroom, and wondering what kind of bulbs to buy.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Indoor lights and hair color?

When I went to Home Depot to replace my bathroom lightbulbs, one of the selections was one that mimicked outdoor light and was recommended for bathrooms. And yes, I bought that one and it made such a difference in how I did my makeup and checking to see if my sunscreen was blended in enough. Definitely change the lightbulbs. The old golden light ones may have been more flattering, but I intend to leave my bathroom at some point during the day, haha.

Length
    n/a/24.5/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I oyu don't want to change your bulbs, why don't you just step outside with a compact mirror and check out your colour?
    I know natural light is scary...I always apply my makeup in my bathroom (no windows and just lights) but I force myself to get my compact out outside to make sure I don't look like a clown!

Type
    1c/F/i

LOL - my dance instructor used to tell us to do our makeup outside, and if we look like a clown there, we don't have enough on yet for the stage!

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Other than sunlight, I can't say which bulbs are best... but I know what you mean! In the sunlight my hair is a beautiful light brown/golden blonde with a teensy bit of red, and inside in fluorescent lights it's an awful, greenish muddy color. Gross!
    ~Every theatre is an insane asylum, but an opera theatre is the ward for the incurables~

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Full spectrum light bulbs!!! I LOVE THEM! Use them everywhere I need to see the real me and wherever I need to read. They are good for your eyes too.

Fluorescent light give me headaches; even the newest compact ones. Wish I could replace my work lights with the full spectrum ones.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Well, even if the bulb doesn't make coloured light, the surroundings can change the light, too. In a blue room, for example, you get bluish light and with yellowish bulbs, the light in the blue room will appear greenish. It is very hard to get an objective view as everything looks slightly different in every room.

If possible, you could set up a mirror or a vanity table near a window.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    chin/waist/knee
    Type
    3b/M/ii

My hair always looks red indoors, or at least strawberry blonde.
    Lady Branwen of the Sunlit Glory
    COMFORT THE DISTURBED. DISTURB THE COMFORTABLE.

Length
    Pixie/SL/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    When I went to Home Depot to replace my bathroom lightbulbs, one of the selections was one that mimicked outdoor light and was recommended for bathrooms. And yes, I bought that one and it made such a difference in how I did my makeup and checking to see if my sunscreen was blended in enough. Definitely change the lightbulbs. The old golden light ones may have been more flattering, but I intend to leave my bathroom at some point during the day, haha.
    Perfect! That's what I was wondering. I have always bought regular bulbs and never really looked at all new kinds out there. I'm picky about the light in my house, but the bathroom needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by paigeturner View Post
    I oyu don't want to change your bulbs, why don't you just step outside with a compact mirror and check out your colour?
    I don't even own a compact mirror, lol, just a hand held mirror to see the back of my head. Plus, I would feel pretty goofy walking outside of our apartment, into to the parking lot (where there's no shade) with a mirror looking at my hair, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by littlenvy View Post
    Full spectrum light bulbs!!! I LOVE THEM! Use them everywhere I need to see the real me and wherever I need to read. They are good for your eyes too.

Fluorescent light give me headaches; even the newest compact ones. Wish I could replace my work lights with the full spectrum ones.
    I hate fluorescent lights too...I get headaches too, and they make me feel dizzy & just weirded out! I'll definitely check out these bulbs tomorrow when I go shopping. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina View Post
    Well, even if the bulb doesn't make coloured light, the surroundings can change the light, too. In a blue room, for example, you get bluish light and with yellowish bulbs, the light in the blue room will appear greenish. It is very hard to get an objective view as everything looks slightly different in every room.

If possible, you could set up a mirror or a vanity table near a window.
    Good point! The bathroom is a light beige color, since we are in an apartment. Wish there was a window with a lot of light here, but they all face north.

Thanks everyone for your input! I haven't seen a post here yet about this, but, the right kind of lighting is so important! It's a good thing I saw what a difference there was yesterday...I was getting so frustrated with my hair color. I feel so much better that my hair isn't as red as I thought it was.

Length
    bob/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I know what you mean. I take my growth progress pictures in my bathroom mirror, and my hair looks light-medium brown. Then I had DH take a few pics of my hair and it was dark dark brown! So I was wondering which is correct??
    Reached classic mid 2014, cut back to hip. Now at tbl and liking the length