Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalp and oiliness issues

Length
    bob/SL/BSL+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Scalp and oiliness issues

Could it be due to your diet or a nutritional deficiency?

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

This might not be the answer you want to hear; I recommend that you continue to wash your scalp every day. Experiment with CWC or CO if you'd like more gentle washes, but now is not the time to try to skip a day between them.

As a previous poster stated, hormones during the teenage years result in your skin producing even more oil than normal. If your skin previously tended to be oily, my guess is the current level of oil production is more a stage-in-life thing than an "overwashing" issue. Especially with your ends being fine with your current routine, I'm not sure why you're trying to stretch time between washes.

Let me back up a little. It is, generally speaking, good to stretch washes. Your hair is weaker when it's wet. Water causes the hair to swell a little, and over years, that can start to take a toll on aged hair. As your hair gets long, it takes longer to dry.

You've got a couple things against you right now when it comes to stretching out washes, though. You tend to have an oily scalp. You're at an age where oil production is heightened. You're probably going into a more stressful stage with first-time college starting. Your hair is not that long, yet, so you can't just sleek it back into a ponytail or bun.

Now, on the bright side: All that oil means your hair is protected when you wash it. Your ends are not getting dried out with your current routine. Your hair is not that long, and therefore, not very old, yet. Washing it daily for a couple of years isn't going to damage it. By the time you'd need to give it a thought at all, that hair of yours will be long enough to sleek back into a 'do, and then you can experiment with cutting back on washes. (Your body might not be quite so intent on producing as much oil by then as an added bonus.)

Have patience with the idea of skipping washes. Do other good things for your hair over the next couple of years, then maybe think about stretching time between washes.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    short/19"/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Danacc: Quite opposite of your first thought, your information is very helpful and not at all bothersome to my taste lol.

I suppose the reason I want to stretch out time between the washes is that it is really tedious, I'm scared it's going to just make my problem worse, and I see so many "nifty" ways to take care of hair that don't involve daily shampooing and I feel a little inadequate in respect to that ability. It also interferes with life sometimes. I'll have a nice lazy day without a wash and something will suddenly come up and it becomes "well wait let me shower first" and it just seems to annoy people (myself included) that I can't just get up and go, which is very frustrating.

However, if it seems to you (who I take it have come to a point where you understand hair better than me XD) think that for some people washing every day isn't the end of the world, and I might fit into that category, that maybe I can learn to accept that.

As for CO washes, how will the gentler washing help? I'm familiar with the method through reading about it on the boards and the article, but I'm a little confused as to how it can help.

Thank you! As usual LHC to the rescue lol

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I am glad you took my recommendation in the spirit given. If I were in your shoes, I really wouldn't spend another minute worrying about washing every day.

I don't think CO will help you skip washes, but it isn't as stripping as shampoo. So, if it works for you and if you'd like to try something different, it may ease the fear that you're prolonging the oiliness. Again though, I think your current routine is perfectly fine at this stage of your life.

I completely understand wanting to have a nice lazy day! I can't help you there, other than to say as your hair grows, you will probably be able to occasionally get away with putting it all up with a hairstick, getting up, and going.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I shampoo my hair every day because I'm essentially in the same boat you are, just to a lesser degree. But a few years ago, I had the exact same problem. I could wash my hair in the morning and by 8pm it was a greaseball. Part of this was due to my ignorance in hair care (I didn't use conditioner at all... =S) but mostly it was because my skin and scalp were naturally very oily. Still are, really, but less so, and it's getting to be less of a problem as I head on into my 20's. But, I still have to wash my hair every day just to look presentable. I'm considering experimenting with dry shampoos to stretch to two day washes. But as was mentioned earlier, I can pull my hair back into a bun or ponytail if all else fails. I'd recommend just continuing with what works right now until your hair is long enough to offer some more options. =)

On another note, if your need to shower is getting in the way of your social life, you may want to look into hats or bandannas/scarves to cover up your scalp. I know that there are several threads on this subject. You can just throw on a scarf and go if need be. =D

Length
    14/22.5/28
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

When I was in high school I had the same problem. I fixed it by doing an ACV and Baking Soda rinse 2x times a week and shampooing and cowashing 2x a week. It really cleared up the grease. However, it took a while for it to work, maybe a month or 2.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I agree with danacc. I'm also quite the greasy-haired-git I've tried stretching out washes with little luck. My greasiness has faded a bit with age (I can go every other day now!), but not a whole lot. Gentler washing methods just left my scalp weighed down and made it get greasier faster. Stretching washes just left it greasy for days...

I do think my tolerance for greasy hair has changed though. If I'm not going anywhere over a weekend, I've been known to shower Thursday and not bother washing my hair again till Monday. By Sunday my hair does look wet to about chin length... but up in a bun or braids you can't tell... (ewww I know... but its summer, who's really gonna tell if its greasy or just sweaty?)

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I'm a greaser, but on the plus side its better for your hair as all those oils protect it!

At your age I had to wash everyday, not at 31 I can go for 2 days but not more without looking unpresentable and getting an itchy scalp.

I tried CO washing with disastrous results, but I have switched to a shampoo where the the Sulphate is lower on the list of ingredients so my scalp still gets a good clean but its gentler on the rest of my hair
    Follow my grey grow out adventure and hair care blog at http://www.lifeinsliver.com

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by issalynn View Post
    When I was in high school I had the same problem. I fixed it by doing an ACV and Baking Soda rinse 2x times a week and shampooing and cowashing 2x a week. It really cleared up the grease. However, it took a while for it to work, maybe a month or 2.
    i was going to suggest baking soda rinses and acv as well. also what about dry shampoos? cornstarch? something like one of those should help. or just slap a bandana over your hair. good luck!
    Melanie

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I am also another with a very oily scalp. I sometimes will use dry shampoo (the stuff in a can) to take care of those instances when you have to be presentable in a short amount of time and don't have enough time to shampoo. The dry shampoo won't take care of really oily hair, but it will make slightly oily hair presentable. I also CO as I find that my hair produces less oil and gets oily looking slower than when I use shampoo.

I find that pulling my hair back and putting in a ponytail or a bun when my hair is oily doesn't really hide the fact that my hair is oily. In fact, with my hair, it is more noticeable when back then when down.
    Change is the only constant.