Thread: Help with ketoconazole shampoo

Length
    10.6/20.5/28
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Question Help with ketoconazole shampoo

Hello guys i have a major problem and i'm literally freaking out and don't know what to do.
    A month ago my scalp began to itch and my hair started to fall with the roots still attached to it (so i knew my seborrheic dermatitis was back - didn't flare in the last 3 years), i bought a Ketoconazole shampoo called Dan Free - my scalp is still itchy and i asked my mother to look at it and she said that the entire area that itched was really really shinny and what i though was new hair coming out (felt like really short hair close to my scalp) was in fact kinked hair strands like a zig zag strand.
    After 2 washes with the ketoconazole shampoo my hair is extremly dry and icky like i have product build-up.

My pre-ketoconazole routine was CO with Syoss Volume lift (no SLS or Cones) clarified with baking soda and rinsed with ACV once a month, last time i dyed my hair was in april, i don't use a curling iron, i air dry no leave-in products.

Dan Free contains Aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, ketoconazol 2%, sodium chloride, perfume, imidazolidinyl urea, sodium hydroxide, sulfuric acid, sodium metabisulphite, colorant:sunset yellow FCF.

My question is this : if i wash my hair with this medicinal shampoo can i condition after, or do i have to wait the 3 week timeline for the shampoo to work? Thanks

Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Default Re: Help with ketoconazole shampoo

I think there should be no problem with conditioning your hair, but do avoid conditioner coming into contact with your scalp.
    Avatar - pic of my hair taken June 2011

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    I think there should be no problem with conditioning your hair, but do avoid conditioner coming into contact with your scalp.
    I agree. Just condition the length.

Length
    10.6/20.5/28
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

thank you, will try that next time i wash

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Hi,

I am using ketoconazole shampoo on my daughter's scalp every time we wash (once in every 2-3 weeks), but I use it differently. Her hair is almost waist now.

After washing her scalp with normal shampoo, I rinse all out and then gently lather and put very little ketoconazole shampoo on her scalp only on places where she has those yellow greasy flakies. After 3-5 minutes I wash it all off, and don't condition - her hair doesn't seem to need conditioner, so I never use one on her.

She never complained about itch after the shampoo.
    This is prescribed shampoo (2&#37 and this is the usage according to the the included instructions.

Not necessarily yours was the same, just thought maybe it helps...

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

My vote, you can and must condition after. Ketaconazole shampoo is very strong which is the reason for your dryness. I suggest CWC where the W is just scalp and as others have said the Cs are just legnth. If you find your hair still dry, I would suggest conditioner with cones on your length, as the surfactants should be strong enough that when your shampoo trickles down it washes the residue.
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    10.6/20.5/28
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Thanks Inty and x0h_bother will try that, guess i have to wash up-side down as my hair is barely SL, noticed after two washes my scalp is still shinny and with zig-zag strands close to the head, wonder what's that about (i'm obsessing).
    PS: well there's a plus to the ketoconazole shampoo i'm using, it wipes my hair of the chemical dye