Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

I'm sorry about the ick factor.

No matter what I use to wash my scalp, I end up with lots of white...stuff (sebum?) left. Recently I've tried no-poo, low-poo and CO - all to no avail. Whenever I scratch my head (which is turning into a bad habit of mine), there is sebum/dirt/whatever under my nails.

Questions:
    1. Why is it happening? Can an excess sweating cause it? /it's been really hot lately).
    2. Why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?
    3. How can I get rid of it? Seems like soda clarifying works, but I'm afraid to use it more than once a month.
    Russian girl in America; No goal length - just want to enjoy the journey.

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

I sometimes have the same problem and i feel its due to heavy sweating in the summer...waiting for other helpful responses.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Is the white stuff flaky and dry, or sticky?
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    13"/16"/24"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Did you try shampoo? (sulfate or sulfate free)A dirty scalp can clog hair follicles I think and inhibit optimal hair growth...
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I have the same thing and I think I've always had it. If there is no itching or irritation, there may not be anything actually wrong with it. Maybe our scalps just produce a thicker sebum and that mixes with our dead skin cells to produce the "white stuff." I've had it no matter my cleaning method, although it is obviously in lesser amounts when I have just washed.

Although, one thing you wrote in your post tells me that this is a new development. You say "why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?" If this is the case, then maybe a more clarifying method would work. A baking soda wash on the scalp only shouldn't damage the rest of your hair, and you can top it off with a vinegar rinse to restore the pH balance.

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

This:

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    Did you try shampoo? (sulfate or sulfate free)A dirty scalp can clog hair follicles I think and inhibit optimal hair growth...
    And this, especially the bolded:

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    I have the same thing and I think I've always had it. If there is no itching or irritation, there may not be anything actually wrong with it. Maybe our scalps just produce a thicker sebum and that mixes with our dead skin cells to produce the "white stuff." I've had it no matter my cleaning method, although it is obviously in lesser amounts when I have just washed.

Although, one thing you wrote in your post tells me that this is a new development. You say "why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?" If this is the case, then maybe a more clarifying method would work. A baking soda wash on the scalp only shouldn't damage the rest of your hair, and you can top it off with a vinegar rinse to restore the pH balance.
    It's part of the reason why CO, low poo, and no poo never worked for me. My sebum I guess tends to be thicker and almost waxy? So the milder cleansing methods just didn't work and I ended up shedding a LOT when I tried them.

Now I shampoo(almost daily, I skip days here and there) and my scalp is happier.

I tried CO on my son as well who had pretty bad scalp problems. I thought it was because his scalp was dry, but trying low poo/no poo only made his scalp 1000x worse. Now his hair is shampooed almost daily and he gets a CO now and then and it's much better as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: I had to do the 'scritching' thing on my son's scalp and it worked well, but I had to coat it in something first or else it seemed to make things worse. I could wet his hair & scalp with water from a spray bottle, then massage some oil into his scalp(or you could kill 2 birds by adding oil to the water bottle). Leave it for an hour or 2 respraying as needed to keep it moist, then scritch gently. The sebum & skin should come up easily without having to scratch hard and break skin. Then wash thoroughly. Oh, but I only washed his hair with shampoo afterwards. Don't know if low poo would get it out? Maybe someone else could chime in?
    Last edited by virgo75; July 17th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Oh my goodness, I was JUST talking with someone about this on the curly hair forum. My scalp has always had this issue too, and it's the waxy stuff, not flaky although it does look like I have terrible dandruff if I "scritch" it. Contradictorily enough, the only time I don't have it is when I do CO. Granted, my hair and skin are generally very dry, so CO is good for me, but after 3 months of CO it was completely gone, then when I shampooed twice in a week (swimming in chlorine and an accidental -cone), it suddenly came back full force, and was itchy to boot.

Definitely going to keep experimenting, but I think for me personally I actually need to limit clarifying since it made things worse.
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by OperaTeacherMom View Post
    Oh my goodness, I was JUST talking with someone about this on the curly hair forum. My scalp has always had this issue too, and it's the waxy stuff, not flaky although it does look like I have terrible dandruff if I "scritch" it. Contradictorily enough, the only time I don't have it is when I do CO. Granted, my hair and skin are generally very dry, so CO is good for me, but after 3 months of CO it was completely gone, then when I shampooed twice in a week (swimming in chlorine and an accidental -cone), it suddenly came back full force, and was itchy to boot.

Definitely going to keep experimenting, but I think for me personally I actually need to limit clarifying since it made things worse.
    The problem is, when I CO, I shed like crazy, even thou my scalp is generally happy. Go figure. It's a curly contradiction, I guess

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

What is your weekly hair routine? Do you need to clarify your hair more often????
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    What is your weekly hair routine? Do you need to clarify your hair more often????
    I usually wash 2-3 times a week; either with Deva low-poo or with Kinky Curly Come Clean (low-poo as well; a bit more strong than Deva).

Yep, this stuff is gunky.

I'd say, I've always had a bit more sebum than I would preferred, but never this much.