Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

Length
    15/30/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

I sometimes have this problem too in the summer.. I cwc and I use a comb in the shower to help ex-foliate my scalp it seems to help. Also I never use conditioner on my scalp and always thoroughly rinse out any shampoo before conditioning. Hope this helps!
    Currently at 29inches!!! MBL
    Goal is 40 inches which is Classic for me! I'm only 5'3''

untangledwithcare♥ windinherhair's Avatar
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I usually always have a flake show up somewhere, but mine has started to get worse and multiply since the temperatures have gone up. I recently bought some tea tree oil shampoo which is supposed to help calm the scalp. I figure mine is built up from extra sweating. I think I will try to wash more often for a while to get rid of it. I usually only wash every 4 to 6 days. I know how you are feeling because I have washed the hair, and right after it dries... I already see flakes! So annoying.

Length
    pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

This used to happen to me, and sometimes it was flaky and white, sometimes waxy and sort of yellowish. When I was doing CO every other day it seemed to fix it at first, but not even ACV rinses did much to help the itching and white flakes. I started washing daily with a sulfate shampoo, every so often doing CO or CWC, and things have been so much better it's like I had a scalp transplant.

Yeah, I know sulfates dry the hair, but it's the only thing that has helped my scalp. I used to wash with sulfates only two or three times a week thinking that it would dry my hair too much otherwise, but my scalp drove me crazy on the second and third day after a wash so I had to change. Once I start my growing in earnest - after it's all virgin - I'll most likely do CWC most days to protect the length and maybe regular S/C if it seems to need it. Regardless, the daily washing of my scalp is crucial for me because if I miss a day, the itching returns with ferocity.

I hope you find something that helps. I can easily imagine the frustration you must be feeling.
    ~* Official Renegrey *~* shimmerglisten *~
    "Hair is a little bit of artwork that we all carry around with us." - Brian Eno

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I have kind of what you've described. Mine builds up to the point that my head feels a little sore, and itches. I just take some granulated sugar into the shower with me, soak my hair in water, put in my conditioner (I'm cone free CO), then pour a small amount of sugar into my palm, and massage it into my scalp, when that amount dissolves, I pour another small amount in my palm, and massage it into a new part of my scalp, until eventually all of my head is covered. I do this...once every 6-8 months as needed. Taken care of my dandruff (for the most part), my itchy, sore scalp, and that weird...white gunk.

Just be sure, if you do it, that you not scrub too aggressively, or too much in one area, or you'll rub a raw spot on your scalp, and then it'll be really sore.

Goals: APL : BSL : Midback :Waist : Virgin

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I get this too. It's more sticky gunk than dry and flaky gunk, and my scalp gets itchy when enough of it builds up. Normally I get itchiness within a few days of washing.

I've found that oiling my scalp before washing almost completely solves the problem. No itchiness until my next wash and less gunk. Vinegar rinse doesn't help me though. Neither WO nor CO solved my problem. I'm not sure what all this means... maybe dry scalp?

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Gunk happens

Especially when you are trying to get away from shampoo. Shampoo is designed to strip away excess oil (hence the "squeaky clean" feeling). When you transition away from using shampoo, your scalp continues to make the same amount of sebum as it did before. It can take a while for it to adjust to only making the amount needed.

I agree with the above advice (skritching, scrubs, also preening would be good). Give your scalp a good skritch before washing so that all the gunk has loosened up and can be easily washed away.

I regularly use baking soda in washes (once or twice a week) and I have not experienced dryness from it, although many people have. YMMV. The key it to only use a small amount (maybe one tablespoon or less) and dissolve it in a cup of warm water. Apply this to the scalp and massge in the roots. Follow up with an acidic rince (dillluted vinegar, lemon juice, tea, etc)

I think it's especially important for those of us that use alternative wash methods that or scalp probably will not feel "squeaky clean". I personally don't think we were made to have squeaky clean scalps or to have to be slaves of getting squeeky clean scalps with shampoo daily.

A gunky scalp doesn't necessarily mean you have to run and wash immediately. It's just a different level of clean
    *I'm opting out of the "friends" option for the time being...
    chin--flip--shoulder--APL--BSL--waist

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Have you tried exfoliating the scalp? It sounds like its coming off when you scrub with the nails but not when you wash, so maybe a good sugar scrub could help?
    Personally I like the exfoliating when I do a cassia treatment Those little “grainy” cassia pieces are pure heaven to scrub the scalp with

Edit: This is how I do it
    Last edited by Igor; July 19th, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I found out that the best way to get rid of gunk is sulfate shampoo. But you need to give your scalp a good massage, without missing any spots. Then i leave it on for a few minutes. After that my scalp's so clean that i never need to wash it for next 2 weeks! (gunk-wise)

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

I believe that is because there is still sebum in your hair and you didn't rinse the shampoo away well enough.

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

You know, this is the reason why I clarify my hair every time I wash. If I don't, my scalp gets all gunky and feels dirty. I should pick up some ACV and see if it makes it any better. Sorry I can't be of much help.