Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: "Dirty" scalp /warning - gross!/

For me, I found that my scalp just was not happy with products...when I went to WO, this reduced the itchiness/gunk/flakes. Just rinsing out with a strong spray cleans this out for me and keeps my scalp happy...hair doesn't look quite as good, but I'm not scratching my scalp til it hurts. Finishing with a vinegar rinse also helps.

Heh. One more piece of mutually contradictory LHC style advice!

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

This:

Quote Originally Posted by May View Post
    Did you try shampoo? (sulfate or sulfate free)A dirty scalp can clog hair follicles I think and inhibit optimal hair growth...
    And this, especially the bolded:

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    I have the same thing and I think I've always had it. If there is no itching or irritation, there may not be anything actually wrong with it. Maybe our scalps just produce a thicker sebum and that mixes with our dead skin cells to produce the "white stuff." I've had it no matter my cleaning method, although it is obviously in lesser amounts when I have just washed.

Although, one thing you wrote in your post tells me that this is a new development. You say "why is it all my regular methods do not work anymore?" If this is the case, then maybe a more clarifying method would work. A baking soda wash on the scalp only shouldn't damage the rest of your hair, and you can top it off with a vinegar rinse to restore the pH balance.
    It's part of the reason why CO, low poo, and no poo never worked for me. My sebum I guess tends to be thicker and almost waxy? So the milder cleansing methods just didn't work and I ended up shedding a LOT when I tried them.

Now I shampoo(almost daily, I skip days here and there) and my scalp is happier.

I tried CO on my son as well who had pretty bad scalp problems. I thought it was because his scalp was dry, but trying low poo/no poo only made his scalp 1000x worse. Now his hair is shampooed almost daily and he gets a CO now and then and it's much better as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: I had to do the 'scritching' thing on my son's scalp and it worked well, but I had to coat it in something first or else it seemed to make things worse. I could wet his hair & scalp with water from a spray bottle, then massage some oil into his scalp(or you could kill 2 birds by adding oil to the water bottle). Leave it for an hour or 2 respraying as needed to keep it moist, then scritch gently. The sebum & skin should come up easily without having to scratch hard and break skin. Then wash thoroughly. Oh, but I only washed his hair with shampoo afterwards. Don't know if low poo would get it out? Maybe someone else could chime in?
    Last edited by virgo75; July 17th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Oh my goodness, I was JUST talking with someone about this on the curly hair forum. My scalp has always had this issue too, and it's the waxy stuff, not flaky although it does look like I have terrible dandruff if I "scritch" it. Contradictorily enough, the only time I don't have it is when I do CO. Granted, my hair and skin are generally very dry, so CO is good for me, but after 3 months of CO it was completely gone, then when I shampooed twice in a week (swimming in chlorine and an accidental -cone), it suddenly came back full force, and was itchy to boot.

Definitely going to keep experimenting, but I think for me personally I actually need to limit clarifying since it made things worse.
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by OperaTeacherMom View Post
    Oh my goodness, I was JUST talking with someone about this on the curly hair forum. My scalp has always had this issue too, and it's the waxy stuff, not flaky although it does look like I have terrible dandruff if I "scritch" it. Contradictorily enough, the only time I don't have it is when I do CO. Granted, my hair and skin are generally very dry, so CO is good for me, but after 3 months of CO it was completely gone, then when I shampooed twice in a week (swimming in chlorine and an accidental -cone), it suddenly came back full force, and was itchy to boot.

Definitely going to keep experimenting, but I think for me personally I actually need to limit clarifying since it made things worse.
    The problem is, when I CO, I shed like crazy, even thou my scalp is generally happy. Go figure. It's a curly contradiction, I guess
    Russian girl in America; No goal length - just want to enjoy the journey.

Length
    chin/neck/BSL+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I had this problem when I did shampoo bars and low-poo methods (and this was after a month of adjustment period). It was so gross, thick wax came off on my combs. I went back to washing with shampoo everyday, and only using conditioner every other day or so and I don't have that problem anymore. The washing once a week thing just does not do anything good for my scalp or hair! I've got a lot of oil though.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I have this problem with flakies too. I'm scritching now and have just switched to J.R. Liggett shampoo bar and hoping it all helps. Definitely going to be checking this thread for ideas on how to combat this issue.

Length
    20 in/waist/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

Maybe you need to wash every day for a week or so, using a dandruff shampoo. Although, it sounds like buildup on your scalp, and not true dandruff. I get this sometimes if don't wash my hair after swimming or heavy sweating. A good wash does me good. I just use regular shampoo and a lightweight cond. when I encounter this problem. Sometimes I wash twice before conditioning to be sure to get rid of the gunk.
    starting length (oiled)
    Midback to Waist to Hip
    John 3:16

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

The curly girl method has a brown sugar scrub for the scalp. Perhaps doing that once a week or so would help?

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Well my hair did that when I did no poo. As soon as I started using conventional shampoo agian, it cleared right up

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Sounds like a perfect reason for using CWC!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro