Thread: Ends are too straight.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Ends are too straight.

As some of you know, I bleached my hair a few weeks ago (and again about two weeks ago) to completely remove the henna from my hair. It went well, though it is now a shade of golden brown rather than completely blonde, but beggars can't be choosers (at least the red is gone!) I was fortunate to escape with minimal damage, though I do experience quite a bit of tangling that I've read is common to those who bleach. I S&D quite often and my hair is slowly returning to a normal state. However, for some reason, while the majority of my hair is somewhat wavy (1c/2a), my ends have been lying stiff and stick straight. I think it's related to the bleaching, but they're mostly not broken so I'm not sure what to do with them. I do a lot of damp bunning, but as soon as I take my hair down, they return to that stiff straightness. Short of cutting it, is there anything I can do to help my hair along? Or should I just be patient, put it up, and slowly cut away those ends as they grow out?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    23,2/27,6/Clsic
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Ends are too straight.

I'd say try to oil it and baby it for a while, then see what happens. When I put highlights in my hair my ends also were acting up a bit, but I just put leave in conditioner and babyed it for a while, and then it was fine.
    Lady Phemonoe of the Lilting Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

After bleaching you need a protein treatment. I recommend Aphogee 2 step protein treatment from Sally's. It saved my hair when I was bleaching too much. The ends are likely just over processed, that is what is causing them to go straight. Over processed hair loses most of it's shape and elasticity.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    22/29/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    After bleaching you need a protein treatment. I recommend Aphogee 2 step protein treatment from Sally's. It saved my hair when I was bleaching too much. The ends are likely just over processed, that is what is causing them to go straight. Over processed hair loses most of it's shape and elasticity.
    I'm confused - don't you use protein when your hair is TOO elastic? Like when you can stretch it out and it won't break?

Lady Temperance, Keeper of the Border between Night and Day in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by twilight_faerie View Post
    I'm confused - don't you use protein when your hair is TOO elastic? Like when you can stretch it out and it won't break?
    When hair is too elastic it stretches out very far and breaks easily, it feels almost gummy. All hair should have some elasticity, when dry about 20% and when wet 50%. It should stretch back afterwards and not break off easily, that is healthy hair. Hair that has been bleached tends to stretch out and not spring back or ends up breaking off. The protein can help keep the hair from breaking as much but there is no way to fully repair damaged, gummy hair.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    I did do a protein treatment with Queen Helene, but I don't think it responded well as it became more tangly after- and I used conditioner after I rinsed it out! I've been diluting my shampoos as well to treat the hair a bit more gently, but the only time my hair feels "normal" is when it's wet
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    18.00/22.5/29
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I have bleached bangs and they always stay straight for the most part. I think it has to do with the fact that you're removing your natural color and protein and so your hair has no reason to do anything else but just lye there, but I could be wrong.

Length
    pixie/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

personally, I'd do a protein treatment (which you did) and then do a SMT twice a week for two to three weeks, keep putting it up and out of the way, and *then* see what you think about it. If it still seems like it needs a cut then I'd just cut the damaged part in one step and be done with it, with the henna gone and alot of the damage taken care of then you can just concentrate on growing

Length
    pixie/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

oh, also if you didn't like the protein treatment you did may I recommend malibu miracle repair power protein builder? I like that one, you can buy it in single packets and then do a DT after that. good luck!

Length
    15/32.5/40
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I'd love to have your problem! It's a deep dark secret of mine, but sometimes I straighten *just* my ends!!

I have no other advice to offer, just wanted to tell you that.
    From chin in March 2012 to APL in March 2013 and on to BSL in the future...