Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosemary question

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Rosemary question

I have this Rosemary bush in my garden that is out of control and I intend to give it a good pruning in a couple of days time. I would like to use the rosemary prunings for my scalp/hair.

I am thinking either a raw pack of mashed-up leaves on my scalp or an infusion to use as an after-shampoo rinse.

Thing is, I have a lot of white hair and I don't want to darken it. Does rosemary always darken whites, whether the leaves are raw or have been infused?

How can I use my rosemary leaves to benefit my hair without the darkening effect? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Rosemary question

Hmmnnn that's a bit tricky. I've always found rosemary infusions darken, i think a paste of the leaves might be a bit strong to be honest.
    You could make some macerated oil though.....not sure how darkening it is but if you use an edible oil to make it you could use it in cooking if it does darken your hair. The good thing is, if it does darken then once you stop using it the stain gradually wears off.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

I don't have a suggestion for your question but I'm just envious that you have the Rosemary!
    I keep trying to get Rosemary to start from seeds and it just refuses for me.
    Remember "Always have Rosemary at your garden gate"!
    September 6, 2009

Length
    chin/waist/40"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I don't have a suggestion for your question but I'm just envious that you have the Rosemary!

try getting a start from somewhere. Once we got it to grow it grew, and grew and grew. We finally had to move it to a barrel and prune the daylights out of it!
    “When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment."

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    If you just get a little plant and plant it then it should get big quite quickly. My plant has turned into an overgrown bush!
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    1c/C/iii

Gypsy, if you can take a few heel cuttings from an existing rosemary bush and propagate them in a sandy soil they should root really well. I grow cuttings for friends all the time. The thing is to keep it moist but not wet and to keep a plastic bag over the cuttings whilst they are young.

Chloe, thank you for your suggestions. After reading a few green witchery type books I am intrigued by the idea of using raw herbs, with their full enzymatic potential, on my scalp. I agree that a raw paste would be too strong, so I think I might mix the mash with some honey and a few drops of water then apply it.

I will definitely go the maceration route and also, I think, make some rosemary vinegar.

Thanks Chloe, you're a star!
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Hmmnnn that's a bit tricky. I've always found rosemary infusions darken, i think a paste of the leaves might be a bit strong to be honest.
    You could make some macerated oil though.....not sure how darkening it is but if you use an edible oil to make it you could use it in cooking if it does darken your hair. The good thing is, if it does darken then once you stop using it the stain gradually wears off.
    Agreed....the oil doesn't darken my silvers at all..unless you use them every day.

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

I've used rosemary infusions as rinses after shower for about a month or so (I wash 3 times a week) and I haven't noticed any darkening effect on my silvers. But maybe if you use it more often and longer it will have an effect.

Type
    1c/C/iii

Thanks for your input little cherry and zift. It gives me confidence that I can use rosemary and still preserve my whites as I don't intend to use it more than once a week.

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I make rosemary vinegar for my scalp, and have never had a problem with it darkening my silvers.
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.