Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning For Chemical Dye Users

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Warning For Chemical Dye Users

OK, I am posting here to give everybody a big warning.

Yes, I know chemical dye is a "bad guy" here, but I have been using chem color for years and don't intend to stop anytime soon. Coloring is about the only bad thing that I do to my hair.....it is otherwise babied.....

The story: over the years, I have used just about every brand out there, some with less than stellar results. L'oreal varieties have always been the ones that caused the most damage. I started using Clairol Hydrience, and it caused a little dryness right after coloring, but doing a heavy coconut oiling prior to the dye solved that issue. So, I planned to stick with it.

Well, Hydrience is being phased out of the Clairol line. You can only get it online and my shade of choice is increasingly hard to find. I chatted online with one of the Clairol reps, and she said that they are probably going to discontinue that particular shade.

So, a little over 6 months ago (right before Christmas), I was needing a dye job and a friend of mine went on and on about how L'oreal Preference had changed their formula and that it was fantastic now and I needed to try it. BIG MISTAKE. I did a heavy overnight pre-oiling (just like I ALWAYS do) and used the Preference. Oh my goodness. Let's just say that since then I have had to have my long layers (which I loved BTW) cut shorter than I wanted, and have had to cut off about 5-6 inches of length in total). It caused horrendous damage, even with the coconut oil.

I currently have my hair in "rehab".....Oilings, biotin, and gentle handling.....I have also been mixing my own color from the Clairol Pro Line (you have to love Sally's), and it is slowly getting better. I am doing a permanent color about once every 12-16 weeks, with a matching demi shade in between to hide the grays.....

I am writing this just as a caution....I am not downing chemical dye.....I love it for the ease of use and predictability of color.....HOWEVER, L'oreal Preference is WAY TOO harsh for thin, fine hair.....don't even go there! I learned my lesson!

OK, end of Public Service Announcement!

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Warning For Chemical Dye Users

The Ion line from Sally's is also quite nice. I use their demi permanent My mom, on the other hand, uses Preference in black and has for five or so years, so maybe it was that shade or the way it reacted to your hair. Her hair is also fine and thin, so a true case of YMMV!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by amaiaisabella View Post
    The Ion line from Sally's is also quite nice. I use their demi permanent My mom, on the other hand, uses Preference in black and has for five or so years, so maybe it was that shade or the way it reacted to your hair. Her hair is also fine and thin, so a true case of YMMV!

I hope she continues to get good results!

I was tempted to try the Ion line, and might give that a shot next! I am a Sally addict.....LOL.....one of my favorite places to shop!

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Yeah, the Sally's girls know me when I go in now. On the plus side, they know what to recommend for my hair now! I've gotten some great things there.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Thanks for the heads up.

When I used box dyes(I henna now, but I'm considering returning to dye) L'Oreal was sooooo drying. It was a nightmare. I also hated Feria.

Clairol Natural Instincts is a semi-permanent that is actually pretty conditioning, and super cheapie Revlon Colorsilk is surprisingly gentle for a permanent dye that is so cheap.

I'm sorry you had to lose some inches.
    But your hair is lovely, I'm sure it will be back in no time.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I have good results these days with Goldwell from Sally's.

I tried Preference in the past and it left me with very dry hair. I did used to enjoy Hydrience though.

Sorry this has happened Dolly.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Thank you all for the empathy.....I knew that the peeps here would "feel my pain", so to speak. Feria IS a bad one....I had horrid results with it years ago when I first started coloring.....

Yes, the good thing is that it is growing fast since I have been taking biotin.....even though I am going through one of my seasonal sheds, it is getting better!

I've dyed from a box a few times, and my hair never seems to dry out, because I would leave the conditioner that came with it on for multiple hours. Maybe that will help someone?

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

The Perfect 10 line is great - ten minutes to color, get that stuff OFF, then condition away and leave it alone. I recommend it.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by triumphator! View Post
    I've dyed from a box a few times, and my hair never seems to dry out, because I would leave the conditioner that came with it on for multiple hours. Maybe that will help someone?

Coconut Oil prior to coloring helps as well.....but not with Preference.....