Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep my hair, or shave it off and wear a wig?

Default Should I keep my hair, or shave it off and wear a wig?

Long story short, I dyed my hair bright red, wore a blonde wig to school so I wouldn't get in trouble, they said I couldn't wear wigs (this was written NOWHERE in the rules), told me that a burgundy color at best would be acceptable since obviously they knew that it would hard to cover ALL of the red, I picked up the dye today, went to a salon, and now it's burgundy.
    I ****ing hate it and I feel like I've been stripped of a lot of my confidence, but oh ****ing well. My hair looks so damaged.

You know that ''fried'' look that hair adopts when it looks like it's been bleached several times in a row? Yeah. it's not TERRIBLE but oh my gosh is it an eyesore.
    it's quite embarrassing considering how healthy my hair once was. My hair has had ENOUGH and my hair is telling me that loud and clear.

Even though virgin hair has never been important to me, i'm considering it now.
    Should i shave it all off and give myself a fresh start while wearing a natural, realistic wig, or try to salvage what I have? After hair has been damaged, it can only be repaired so much so I don't have much hope.

If I'm gonna grow it all out again, there's a HUGE chance I'd just leave it virgin forever even though I really dislike my naturally dark brown color.

Mind you, I want to go bright blue next June/July so I have about a year until. I'm definitely gonna have to bleach again to get it to BRIGHT turquoise.
    Last edited by based goddess; September 9th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Should I keep my hair, or shave it off and wear a wig?

I think everyone should experience a bald head at least once in their life. It's very liberating!
    There aren't many times in your life when bald is acceptable due to interviews, jobs etc. So if you have the chance now and would like to do it then I say go for it!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    34"/45"/IDK
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Since they wouldn't allow you to wear a wig when you have hair are you sure they'll allow you to wear a wig when you don't? If they don't, how will you feel about walking around school being bald? Also how long are you picturing your turquoise hair to be? If you shave it now it will probably only be around 6" if you have average hair growth. All things to consider.

If you are strong enough for that then I say go for it. I believe healthy hair is more important than length.

If not you could just baby your hair for now. Treat it well and keep up with regular cuts to keep the ends better. Don't do anymore bleaching. Maybe you're hair will be ok by next year, maybe not.

There are members on here who do bleach and color consistantly. Perhaps they can help you a bit more than this.

Whatever you do, good luck.

March 2014 - Almost to fingertip

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I know one thing for sure - I wouldn't shave my head if there were any way to avoid it. I'd probably go for a short hair cut, though.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'd say keep it. I'd suggest doing a protein treatment and then a moisture one before you consider chopping anything off. I also don't understand why they would let you wear a wig if you had no hair if they don't let you wear it when you have hair.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Sounds like too many quick decisions in a row... It's now 3 days since your post. I hope you haven't done anything yet. Take a week or so and think it over.

Amid the rocks and trees of Northern Ontario
    Length
    NA/42/term
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

So glad I went to school where and when (the '70s) I did. Because if it was me as a teenager, and "they" told me I couldn't have bright red hair or wear a wig, I would probably have shaved my head into some vaguely rude pattern (I'm thinking middle finger raised) and painted my scalp bright red.

But I'm much much older now and marginnaly wiser, and I agree with Spidermom. A short haircut maybe, but shave??? No way. (Unless it was to give "them" the finger )

Length
    APL/Hip!/BCL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You should've died the wig burgundy. If you showed up with burgundy hair, they wouldn't question it right? (as long as they never, you know, found out it was a wig.)

I'd say to grow it out right now, and try to baby it a bit.
    BSLMBL• WL • HLBCLTBL
    _________________________^Next stop; TBL!

I hear wigs are quite uncomfortable for daily wear.

Length
    22/32/blah
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by share801 View Post
    I hear wigs are quite uncomfortable for daily wear.
    And I've heard they're even more uncomfortable if you don't have your own hair underneath them. But then, that information came from a sort of fairy tale about witches and such
    To the OP, I think you should only shave your head if you really want to and/or if you don't think you'll be able to grow healthy hair otherwise. There's also, as other posters said, the issue of not being allowed to wear a wig to school and having to show up there with an obviously bald head. If you're okay with that then it won't be a factor in your decision, but if you're not then you probably shouldn't shave your head just now.
    As well, if you don't shave your head, your hair is still saying it's had enough and the time has come when you said you'd bleach it again, then maybe you'll want to hold off on the bleach a little longer. If you really want blue hair, you might be able to do it without bleaching; it will be much darker, but maybe you'd like it just as much.