Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: testing thumbnails

Default testing thumbnails

Utlizing only the Contacts portion of the Friends list feature.

Default Re: testing thumbnails

Yay! It worked!

Except it doesn't take me there when I click it.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by restourceful View Post
    Except it doesn't take me there when I click it.
    That is because in the actual URL you also included IMG tags. The IMG tags are used to show the picture, but aren't needed in the actual link that you want to go to once you click the picture. Example: You have "http://[img]http://(etc)" as the link, which makes the link invalid both from the IMG tag you put in there and the doubled "http" portions of the URL. Keep the IMG tags for your thumbnail, but remove the IMG tags from the link as well as the superfluous http. Good luck!

Okay Gumball, I might need you to spell it out for me like Calista did in the thread about picture etiquette because I'm such a computer illiterate ignoramus. She wrote:

This is what the code looks like:
    [xURL=insert URL of large pic here][IMG]insert URL of thumbnail here[/IMG][/url] (without the x in the first brackets)

and that's what I did, I thought. No? Is there an easier way to do it?

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

hijacking to test avatar.
    ETA: yay.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by restourceful View Post
    Okay Gumball, I might need you to spell it out for me like Calista did in the thread about picture etiquette because I'm such a computer illiterate ignoramus. She wrote:

This is what the code looks like:
    [xURL=insert URL of large pic here][IMG]insert URL of thumbnail here[/IMG][/url] (without the x in the first brackets)

and that's what I did, I thought. No? Is there an easier way to do it?
    You did most of it perfectly! Your image works fine. The URL is what's wrong.

Use this for the link instead:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5802&pictureid=75816

Which goes to this picture:

The link is different than yours, and just check where the differences ended up being. Yours is here:

http://www.[img]http.com//forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=75816&albumid=5802&dl=127810 0214&thumb=1[/img]

Hope that helps!

I went to the image you wanted to use (I use Firefox), right clicked on it and clicked "View Image" to view just where the image was and the URL that went with it in the address bar.
    Last edited by Gumball; July 10th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Okay, trying again because I'm really confused now.

So here's what I did (and I don't know why my text is being linky now, either! ).

I right clicked the thumbnail on my album and copied image location.
    I typed [ url] pasted the thumbnail [ img] pasted the photo [/img][/url] and ended up with extra code in front of the thumbnail. I deleted all the extra code. I guess this worked but I'm still not sure how I did it and why my text is now a linky to the photo.

Help! Thanks for your patience with me, Gumball!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

It may take a few extra steps, but it will make it a little more foolproof, restourceful.

We'll do this in a few steps for you to test it out. Sometimes a little extra work that's simple can avoid problems that are bigger than you want.

The first version turns a link INTO a thumbnail. The second turns a thumbnail INTO a link. Fiddle with them and decide what works the easiest for you. I'll assume Version 2 since it will appear the simplest.

Version 1: Outside In

1) Write something in the post box like HELLOEVERYONE in all caps so it's easy to read.

2) On a separate window (or tab depending on your browser) go get the URL of the full-sized image only and copy it. Keep that window/tab open for later.

3) Come back to the posting box, highlight your HELLOEVERYONE, click the Insert Link button for the posting box (the little infinity symbol), and paste your link. Then hit OK. That creates the link, with the text being your HELLOEVERYONE that you wrote before.

4) On the separate window go back to where you can get the URL for the thumbnail image only. Copy it.

5) Come back to your posting tab again. Don't we feel like a ping pong ball of success? Your post should look like a URL in some tags with your HELLOEVERYONE smack dab in the center. Highlight the HELLOEVERYONE and then click on the Insert Image button for the posting box (it should look like a small mountain and sun landscape). Paste the URL of the thumbnail image only into the box that pops up and hit OK.

6) Post it and see if it works.

Voila! You make a link, then turned it into a thumbnail!

Version 2: Inside Out

1) Create the image for the thumbnail first. That means get the URL for the thumbnail image only

2) In the posting box select the Insert Image button that looks like a landscape and put your URL in there. Click OK.

Now you have your thumbnail image, but it's not a link.

3) On a separate tab/window get the URL for the full-sized image only.

4) Go back to your posting box, select EVERYTHING you just did (the IMG tags and whatever is inside of them), then click the Insert Link button.

5) Paste the URL of the full-sized image only in that box that pops up, then hit OK.

Voila. You made a thumbnail, then turned it into a link!

Check out your finished product and good luck!

Gumball, you are my new hero! I hope you can see this since you are a mod and it's private because this is me as a child doing a happy dance for you!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I bow to your greatness!