Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian diet and hair?

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Vegetarian diet and hair?

I am a meat-eater who was a vegan for 6 years then went on a wilderness living course and decided to go back to eating meat.

Once I started eating red meat, I noticed that my hair became straighter, thicker and the roots became stronger. My hair growth rate is noticeably faster. On the downside, I have more spots then when I was a vegan.

So, for me, meat-eating has meant a change in hair quality for the better.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

My hair quality is definitely better since I started eating vegetarian foods, I think mostly because I just eat overall healthier. It is much much thicker than it was a few years ago, I always had problems with oily, thin and limp hair back in the days when I ate meat = more fat. I also shed very little hair compared to before, of course there could be other factors involved, but this is what has happened anyway.

Like others have pointed out, I too suggest you should make sure you're getting enough healthy oils. And keep yourself hydrated. DHA and EPA's are something that might be hard to obtain from plant sources only. So you might want to supplement on that.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/C/iii

I have been a vegetarian for longer than I have been a longhair. The changes that I've seen in my hair over the years have been due to aging.

You may want to try to include more fats in your diet. Putting olive oil on foods causes my scalp to become oily sooner.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    chin/BSL+/clsc
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I've been vegetarian for almost 16 years (although there has been a brief period where I ate chicken, turkey and fish) and I just went vegan a year ago. I didn't notice any changes. I already have split ends anyway because I haven't trimmed my hair in over two years (not counting bangs) and I color it on top of that. I should give it a little trim but I'm waiting on that. I also use quite a bit of vegetable oils in my diet. You can't skimp too much on fats just as much as you can't go overboard on them either. Too little fat in the diet can dry out your hair and skin and make nails brittle. I would also say climate would have a definite impact. I imagine dry climate would be more likely to evaporate some of the moisture from hair. I live in Florida so I don't have that issue...I have a different problem: Humidity can cause me to look like Otto the bus driver from The Simpsons!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tanya222 View Post
    I think I know what you mean, is it sulphur? Or albumin?
    Albumin is the white of the egg, and IIRC is mostly protein and water.

To the OP: I've been a vegetarian for 7.5 years, and I never noticed a change to my hair when I switched. My hair is overall quite healthy. Do make sure you're getting enough protein and iron, though you say you eat a lot of beans and pulses so I would think you'd be ok in that area. I would recommend incorporating a few eggs (if you don't eat them already and aren't adverse to the idea) a week into your diet as they are a very good source of nutrition. I would caution you to be careful if cholesterol is an issue for you. However research is divided on whether or not the cholesterol in eggs, assuming moderate consumption, is a concern; personally I find that the benefits of eating eggs outweigh the risks, though YMMV.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Type
    1c/F/i

My hair was growing super slow. I just wasn't getting enough protein. I really wanted to eat naturally, BUT ... i bit the bullet and got an organic, vegan protein supplement powder. Now I'm getting the usual half-inch per month (hooray!!!) and my hair looks thicker and stronger. The powder is a bit of a hit on my pocketbook, but then, i don't go to the salon or spend money on that kind of stuff, so ....

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I do eat eggs sometimes and also alot of avocados, nuts, olive oils etc. And I do love veggie burgers as well and eat them sometimes, I just don't live on them...I just wanted to clarify that I am a big fan of the veggie burger I think that my diet is missing a couple of things so I supplement with vitamin B12 and vitamin D. I've had my iron levels tested and they seem normal but I'm not sure if that can be trusted completely as levels fluctuate. I find on a vegetarian diet that if I do not eat well for a couple of days making sure I cover all the bases that my energy levels really drop quickly as I seem to have no reserve. I just feel like my whole body has weakened in the last couple of years and my hair is a reflection of that. Sometimes I feel a shortness of breath in my throat and a little dizzy at times when I get up...could be low iron??I am a natural born vegetarian...I love all the foods that I eat and I couldn't imagine eating red/white meat again. It does not match my belief system...I love animals!! I'm just feeling like I'm not getting everything I need and may need to boost things with a multi or EPA supplement.

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

I used to feel like that in high school, when I was extremely anemic. That's been fixed now with birth control, but my mom stuffed everything that contained iron in front of me, without much improvement. I think it was a couple years before they put me on the pill and had me change my multi before it stopped. Seeing a doctor might be a good idea, or at least a nutritionist

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dropinthebucket View Post
    My hair was growing super slow. I just wasn't getting enough protein. I really wanted to eat naturally, BUT ... i bit the bullet and got an organic, vegan protein supplement powder. Now I'm getting the usual half-inch per month (hooray!!!) and my hair looks thicker and stronger. The powder is a bit of a hit on my pocketbook, but then, i don't go to the salon or spend money on that kind of stuff, so ....
    Interesting! I have quite fast growth, but still, it couldn't hurt to make it grow even faster I did see some organic hemp protein powder for a good price at a health food store, it does look even more promising now.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/BSL+/clsc
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I'll have to try some vegan protein powder and see how it works for me. I'm also planning to get a container of coconut oil treatment from Sally Beauty Supply.