Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: strange & somewhat misleading advice from hairstylist?

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default Re: strange & somewhat misleading advice from hairstylist?

Ha! That "advice" is so transparent. Like you said it is definatly a sales pitch. Oils are much better than salon products. Those salon treatments are so full of synthetic ingredients that they clog your hair follicles and block them from absorbing any natural oils that are good for your hair.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

She just wanted to sell that product. I think many hairdressers don't care about the condition of other people's hair. They sell products which are not better than the ones the customer uses. And if their hair is in good condition they won't go to her often.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4250&attachmentid=1969

Length
    Pixie/30in./32in.
    Type
    1b/F/ii

While there are decent hair stylists in the business, it is a business. And like some have said here, she was upselling. Do what you have been doing and keep coming back to this community. Just take a look around here, and you will see the people who do use oils and other 'non' salon products, and their hair is beautiful.

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

This was definitely a sales pitch. I am a stylist, and we're told to do that by our bosses. (which is why I work for myself) It is unethical and wrong, but like most business, it's what you get.

One thing I can say is that if you do feel your hair is dry, perhaps you can try different at home treatments. For one thing, though you wouldn't think it, olive oil can be very drying to hair because of the acids in it and because it is a thinker oil that absorbs differently than some of the better suited hair oils like jojoba, coconut, grapeseed, and shea.. If I put anything with olive oil in it, my hair feels crunchy. Olive oil can be great for some, but as a rule, it is better for thick coarse hair like many Mediterranean/Middle Eastern women have.

Also, when you mentioned your protein idea, you said you might add mayo. Mayo can be drying because it has lemon juice, egg whites, and sometimes many other additives to it. Why not try a self made mayo with your oil of choice, only egg yolk, and ACV instead of white vinegar. By omitting the olive oil, egg white, and lemon, you would be giving yourself a much more conditioning treatment. You can also add essential oils, avocado, gelatin, and many more things to personalize your own home treatment, and get AMAZING results.

Sorry for the book, but just had to drop in with that info. Good Luck with your hair.

How rude! Clearly your stylist was just trying to get you to buy stuff.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

If you like oils, stick with them. If you like conditioners, go for that. But if you've already found a routine I wouldn't be dissuaded. I have to be careful with oils because I tend to shed quite a bit with them, but if I put them on my hair and then quickly put my hair up, they seem to be contained and I lose less hair than normal. Maybe that was her concern?

Still, as we know from this site, conditioners don't have to be "salon quality", though there are a lot of great salon ones out there
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

That was kinda clumsy way of her to try to sell products, at least by reading your post it seemed like it. Making a customer feel uncomfortable is not gonna sell anything.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    neck/BSL/waste

Do what you normally have been doing... she is obviously trying to get you to buy all her stuff. Like if you would tell most people you put coconut oil on your hair, they will think you are whako, but you really are not!
    "When alone on the hills... With the wind in your hair ...With a longing to feel... Just to be free"

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

She sounds like someone just trying to get you to commit to expensive treatments!

My hairdresser told me my hair was over processed and I said "oh no will I need lots cut off then" to which she told me, get conditioner, oil, whatever you fancy, put lots on your head and wrap it up in a hot towel and if I left the hair alone and quite dye itd become shiny again. She said the salon wouldnt really do anythig different to this and as such there wasnt much point in paying salon prices to have a microwaved towel on my head. My hair dresser is a pretty cool upfront lady so I trust her advice on this one. I also saw another hairdresser when I got a free haircut through work and she told me pretty much the same thing. Essentially regular trims are good but not as necessary as some suggest and hairdryers and peroxide kill your hair. If youre oiling etc I imagine you have AMAZING hair. I aspire to be that good to my hair and have now vowed to let it go natural.

Im not one for sitting in damp towels so I use a sauna instread and put on lots of olive oil. My hair is really soft and shiny now!

Hope my experience helps

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Removed for privacy
    Last edited by zenobia; December 26th, 2014 at 05:17 PM.