Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you know if you have fine hair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default How do you know if you have fine hair?

I have put F/M in my profile, mostly because I am unsure what my hair is. Hairdressers allways said I have fine hair, but I know some people who have even finer hair than mine. Mostly that is people with really blond, allmost white hair and babies.

Still, I do have problems locating splits because I canīt really see them without a magnifying glass. I bought a pair of 4+ glasses today to use outside my regular +2.50 glasses . And I still find it easier to do S&D with a magnifying glass, pluss holding the hairs up against a contrasting surface. Sunlight just makes everything shine, so I canīt see what is worn ends and what is not. But I can see my hairs in regular modus though, Iīm not blind.

So how do you know if your hair is medium or fine?
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Length
    3"/8"/12"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: How do you know if you have fine hair?

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ead.php?t=8954

Study that article. Do everything it says, it helped me understand my hair. This article also has links to a visual hair typing guide, that has a collection of photos to kind of give you an idea of what they are talking.

Also, don't be afraid to google what an "S curve is" or something, I hope this helps

Length
    3"/8"/12"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Still can't edit posts, it's getting annoying...

A snip it, for you Idun...

F - Fine
    Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thank you James M! I have read this many times, and that is why I´m confused. The last part clearly describes how my hair feels between my fingers. But since my hair is dark I can see it against a white background. Still it looks translucent in the sunlight.
    Last edited by Idun; June 29th, 2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    Thank you James M! I have read this many times, and that is why Iīm confused. The last part clearly describes how my hair feels between my fingers. But since my hair is dark I can see it against a white background. Still it looks translucent in the sunlight.
    From this I'd say you definitely have fine hair, just dark colored fine hair is all.

And remember, a head of hair can often have a number of different types on it. My hair's 90% M, but there's F here and there and even a few C strands.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I'm wondering about that too. The classification system just confused me. My hair is twotoned and the natural part is a colour that takes whatever colour the surroundings are so the contrasting background test made my natural hair bits invisible while the dyed parts were highly visible against all backgrounds. At the same time the feel test seemed to indicate that my hair is very fine since it is so soft you can barely feel it. However, it acts like coarse hair when handled so...
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    3"/8"/12"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Idun, I personally wouldn't worry so much about hair color.

My hair is like a dirty blonde/light brown, so a weekend in the sun can really lighten the tips of my hair, and I've seen them become hard to find no matter the background, where I could still see the root.

It's funny, my hair will be like blonde/see through at the tip, then liiiight brown in the middle, and a brown near the root. But! The thickness, no matter the color is usally pretty consistent.

I've also had hair dressers tell me "your hair is so fine", but since I've done that classification system, I think my hair is actually more Medium, with traits of Fine.

Length
    3"/8"/12"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina View Post
    At the same time the feel test seemed to indicate that my hair is very fine since it is so soft you can barely feel it.
    I think this is the most important indicator when trying to determine hair thickness/coarseness. If it feels fine, it's probably fine.

If handling it feels coarse, that is normal... Rub a strand of hair the opposite direction, and you get a resistance, this is probably why, look at this hair up close; http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/345/hairuk.jpg

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    I think this is the most important indicator when trying to determine hair thickness/coarseness. If it feels fine, it's probably fine.

If handling it feels coarse, that is normal... Rub a strand of hair the opposite direction, and you get a resistance, this is probably why, look at this hair up close; http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/345/hairuk.jpg
    I disagree. It depends on the condition of the hair, too, not only the thickness. For example, a fine-haired person's hair can feel coarse and wiry if it is not properly moisturised and it can make that "hairnoise" as well. Just the same, it should be possible for coarse hair to be so well moisturised it no longer feels like a wire. My hair became entirely coated in sebum by WO and thus it is incredibly soft, whereas before it felt exactly like stereotypical coarse hair, through both herbal and 'normal' haircare.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    3"/8"/12"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

@ Tiina
    Agreed, the condition of ones hair can make the hair feel different in many ways. But does that change the hair type?