Page 1 of 160 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightblooming Panacea?

Default Nightblooming Panacea?

I am curious as to what makes it different than blending coconut oil and cocoa butter, other than the scent. I'm not trying to be rude, or offensive, I'm just a newbie who is clueless. I have seen it praised on the boards, but I searched and all I could find is that people like it, not why they like it.

To those that have used it, can you explain why it is amazing? I'm debating between buying the sample size and just sucking it up and buying the full size. Your input would be much appreciated.

Also, I wasn't sure if this was a conventional product or not. Mods, feel free to move, and if it does need moving I apologize for the inconvenience.
    There is no passion to be found in playing small, in settling for a life that is less than what you are capable of living- Nelson Mandela. My blog: http://www.ibleedlipstick.com

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Nightblooming Panacea?

First of all, it might help to pose this in the Nightblooming thread. Second, there's a lot more to Panacea than coconut oil and shea butter. It has herbal ingredients, as well as other vitamins/moisturizers/conditioners. Also, it smells yummy.

But yeah, to me, the cost and hassle of purchasing and mixing all the ingredients makes it worth it to buy it pre-made (although I'm still working on a sample). I find that Panacea soaks in and leaves my hair silky, rather than heavy like plain oils/butters.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Check her Etsy site, click on the panacea listing and look at the ingredients - there are a lot of different things in there. Is it any better or worse than any other oil or moisturizer? Nah. But what totally sets it apart from anything else for me is the smell. It smells like nothing else in this world - yummy, yummy, yummy.

Could you duplicate it? Sure, with enough time, money and effort. But she has already done all the legwork to get the perfect blend, and a sample size lasts weeks and even months with careful doling out so I choose to support her by buying.

Did I mention the scent?!?!?!?!? mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Besides, I feel it's a bit unfair to copy her recipe. She knows a lot about hair and must have invested time and thought in her special blend. Of course everybody can take his ideas from wherever he meets them, but I'd rather spend the time in finetuning my own recipe than in copying hers.

Just my opinion, not meaning to hurt or insult the OP.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    24"/28"/39"
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It has to be a lot different than just blending coconut oil and cocoa butter because my hair hates both those things but it loves the vegan panacea. I don't know what type of magic Nightshade uses, but the stuff works incredibly well on my hair (and my hair hate coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, and argan oil and jojoba oil!).
    Lover of fountain pens and disabled kitties.

RIP my sweet Jilly-bean. Your momma misses you.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
    Besides, I feel it's a bit unfair to copy her recipe. She knows a lot about hair and must have invested time and thought in her special blend. Of course everybody can take his ideas from wherever he meets them, but I'd rather spend the time in finetuning my own recipe than in copying hers.

Just my opinion, not meaning to hurt or insult the OP.
    Agree! I would rather buy from her than try to duplicate it at home, both because it would take tremendous effort and mainly, because in my opinion that would be unfair and unethical behavior. But I also recognize and accept that not everyone shares that viewpoint, and that although I find it wrong and disagree, others wouldn't think it was a big deal as long as they weren't selling it themselves. In the end, people are going to do what they are going to do.

Me? I'm buying my NB panacea, regular like clockwork!
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

For me, it's the divine scent that makes it different than something I could make myself.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I love Nightblooming's Panacea hair salve. Love it. The scent is fantastic and it's a large blend of many different herbal oils and butters. Keeping so many different things on hand to make that would not be worth it for me, plus the price is very reasonable and I like supporting a small-scale crafter on Etsy not to mention an LHC member
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalmaniac View Post
    Agree! I would rather buy from her than try to duplicate it at home, both because it would take tremendous effort and mainly, because in my opinion that would be unfair and unethical behavior. But I also recognize and accept that not everyone shares that viewpoint, and that although I find it wrong and disagree, others wouldn't think it was a big deal as long as they weren't selling it themselves. In the end, people are going to do what they are going to do.

Me? I'm buying my NB panacea, regular like clockwork!
    I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to suggest that I could copy it, but asking if it is more than cocoa butter and coconut oil. I've placed an order for both the sample and full size, and am very excited. I just wanted to make sure that it is as fantastic as it seems. Thank you for your advice.

If Nightblooming has read this- I meant no disrespect whatsoever, and I would never, ever try to copy your product. This is something that you have put a lot of energy and passion into, and I truly wasn't trying to belittle it. Thank you!
    Last edited by ibleedlipstick; June 27th, 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: "I placed and order"- I have had 4 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours. Sleep deprivation=craptastic spelling.
    There is no passion to be found in playing small, in settling for a life that is less than what you are capable of living- Nelson Mandela. My blog: http://www.ibleedlipstick.com

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Also, just putting this out there, even though the ingredients list positions TECHNICALLY hint at amounts, it'd take forever to actualy GET the amounts right.

I don't know about you, but I don't care that much.

And that's in addition to what the others have said. I wouldn't feel right remaking it either (or trying--too much stuff. xD), so I'm fine with it. Haven't been able to get any in a while though. 'Tis sad. It's AWESOME for my braids.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)