Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Heat Styling Turn Henna Brown?

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Will Heat Styling Turn Henna Brown?

This is the first time I have ever hennaed my hair. Today is 2 days after I did it. I have a wedding to go to today and was planning on curling my hair with a curling iron, which I rarely do. But I do not want to lose this lovely dark auburn color and turn it brown by doing so. Will the curling iron turn it brown? Or just oxidize it a little faster, keeping the red? Thanks for any help!

Lady Tanzanite of Cascading Dragon River in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Will Heat Styling Turn Henna Brown?

DON'T DO IT! The curling iron will turn it burgundy, and in a way that's very uneven - the roots will remain the color they are, and the hair will get more and more burgundy down the length as it gets closer to the metal. I ruined my hair doing that, it's one of the reasons I cut it all off to pixie last year

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Wow! Thank you!! So does that go for anytime you have henna, or only right after you first do it? I don't style it very often, but pretty much always have a curly up do for weddings... I'm hoping this doesn't mean that I can't ever curl it now!

Lady Tanzanite of Cascading Dragon River in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Oh, also, does the burgundy show up right away, or at a later time? i have 2 tests strands from when I tested the henna coloring... I wonder if I could test one of them to see if it changes it to a bad color, or if it takes awhile to show the change.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LongForLife View Post
    I'm hoping this doesn't mean that I can't ever curl it now!
    Even if you do find that you can't use a curling iron anymore, you could learn other methods that don't require heat! I'm talking wet sets with large curlers, rag curls, pin curls, and so on. I've seen lots of info here about various ways of producing curls without heat.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Ok, thank you! I'll look into some of those for the future, hopefully I can find another way that will work for me. I was really wanting a curly up-do today, as its been a really long time, and its my friends wedding. I wish I knew what a curling iron would do, and if it showed up instantly.

Length
    ~23/40/43+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I've used heat on my hair twice in my life, but since I started using henna:
    I flat-ironed it once for a convention (years ago, bad, I know :P) the day after henna-ing it, and I had curls put in it for my wedding, three days after henna.

I didn't notice any color change whatsoever! My hair usually stays pretty coppery for a good week before it deepens to more of a red, and that same progression held true after using heat. My hair is substantially lighter than yours, but I don't see any reason why the heat would speed up the oxidation significantly--i certainly don't believe it would be an instant change.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Use it on the lowest heat possible, or wet/dampen your hair and blowdry it on cool with foam curlers in it.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Type
    1b/F/ii

The darkening happens right away. It may just be accelerated oxidation. Only direct heat (flat iron, curling iron) will do it, not a hand held or bonnet style hair dryer.

Here is a photo of my hair right after I curled the ends with a curling iron - the upper part of my hair is lighter, the ends browner:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/4223195728/
    My plant dye strand tests - Henna, cassia, indigo, buxus on mohair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3933575...7619485710101/

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I guess this is a bit late, as your event was yesterday. But my darkening happened right away, and was much more pronounded than Caribou's. I didn't get a pic of it, and as I mentioned, I cut it all off anyway. If I were you, I'd just leave it down - your hair is spectacular as is!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.