Thread: Should I convince my sister to Henna?

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Default Should I convince my sister to Henna?

My little sister (just turned 18 ) has naturally blonde hair. It used to be a very very light blonde, but it's more like dirty blonde now. Over the last few years, it has been dyed progressively darker (including black for a while), and right now it is an odd shade of pink/red because she dyed it with cherry koolaid LOL.

I'd like to help her get a color that is darker than what she has now (since that's what she wants), and isn't frying her hair like most of the random stuff she's been doing. I am thinking the best course of action may be something like: using one of those color removal kits to try to get her back to a more natural color, then doing henna over it? Is this even a good idea with her hair being naturally blonde? I know she would like the color she got from Henna, and having the option to do something like Manic Panic over it might be fun too (if her work lets her have unnatural colors, which I'm not sure).

Ok, starting to ramble, but I guess what I'm asking is: does this sound like it would be a good idea for her hair, or should I not even try to convince her? If it matters, she has fine, thin hair, probably 1b or 1c.
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Should I convince my sister to Henna?

What color is her hair underneath the koolaid? Color removers only lift permanent dye, they wont strip the color from something like koolaid or manic panic.

Make sure she is aware of how permanent henna is. It sounds like she's the type of person who likes to change her color a lot. That isn't something you can do easily once you henna.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    calf/tb/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Personally I'd never convince my sister to do anything with her hair in case she didn't like it and blamed me LOL!

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Hmm you both make excellent points lol. I think the main reason for her changing it so often is trying to achieve one result (darker, redder hair), but she hasn't done it yet, which is why I'm thinking she would love henna. I don't think she would want to do too much after that, and you can always deposit-only color. Her hair under the koolaid is dyed a medium-ish brown I think. It's been a while since I've seen it.
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    Make sure she is aware of how permanent henna is. It sounds like she's the type of person who likes to change her color a lot. That isn't something you can do easily once you henna.
    Good point! I'd stay quiet about henna, let her find about it herself (so that you won't get blamed when things go wrong)

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Type
    3a/M/ii

Can you tell her in a way that she thinks she finds out herself?
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok