Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want my hair to smell like almonds

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Default I want my hair to smell like almonds

I like using EOs to give a nice scent to my hair, but there's no such thing as an almond EO. I would love to have the scent of almonds in my hair, but sweet almond oil (the one they use for massage and such) doesn't have that particular smell.

I would love to have some oil, just plain for the scent, not for oiling. I read here something about almond oil for cooking? I never heard of it before and can I use it in my hair? Will it smell strongly enough when only 2 drops or so are used since I don't want greasy hair from it?
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Default Re: I want my hair to smell like almonds

Bitter Almond EO does exist; it has a sweet almondy scent. Not sure why it's called "bitter". The almond oil used for cooking is the same one you've used cosmetically....no scent.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Bitter Almond EO does exist; it has a sweet almondy scent. Not sure why it's called "bitter".
    Because it's made from bitter almonds. Sweet almonds don't have much of a scent.

Length
    15/32.5/40
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I am a massage therapist and I love sweet almond oil to use for my clients. It's a great oil - BUT - like you, I wish it had more of a scent. What I do is put a small handful of almonds into the bottle of oil (like 5-6 in an 8 oz bottle) and after a week or so they smell just divine. I've had them in there for a couple months now and they haven't rotted or anything and it still smells great. I'm not sure if it would be a strong enough scent to make your hair smell with just a few drops, though. But, I do like to rub it into my arms and I smell good all day.

Apricot kernel oil smells a lot like almonds, too.

Plum kernel oil smell is intoxicating, much nicer than almond oil. It's my favourite body oil, but I find its aroma lasts longer when used on hair. I've got mine from Aroma-Zone.

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

I'd actually suggest fragrance oil as opposed to bitter almond EO, since bitter almonds are toxic, and I would not suggest using it undiluted.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair ADORES Sweet Almond Oil. The scent is very mild, and the effect on my dried up ends is awesome!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalsofhair View Post
    I'd actually suggest fragrance oil as opposed to bitter almond EO, since bitter almonds are toxic, and I would not suggest using it undiluted.
    I think it's more about adding a few drops of the EO to oil, not using it undiluted. And as far as I know the hydrogen cyanide is removed from the EO anyway to make it safe for food.
    I agree about the heavenly scent of apricot kernel oil and plum kernel oil, it's like almond paste! Just be sure you buy the unrefined oil - the refined one usually has no smell at all.
    Last edited by Gulbahar; June 25th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I would be shy of the bitter almond oil, even diluted and all that. If it's specifically meant for food, I suppose it's OK, but otherwise I'd just avoid the stuff.

I've seen artificial almond flavoring at the grocery store before. That or a bit of amaretto, mixed with your oil, would probably smell awesome.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

That's true, if it was meant for food, it would likely be safe, but I've never seen EO's designed for food, most are marked with "not for human consumption".
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!