Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair pulling and increased growth?

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair pulling and increased growth?

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Maybe it's true. Who knows? A friend of mine went to Mexico for a couple of months and came back with an amazing amount of growth. She told me that she realized one day while she was sitting in the shade of a tree that if she pulled her hair, she could make it grow longer. I think that mind-altering mushrooms were involved. Anyway, I couldn't believe how much longer her hair was when she got back; it was only 2 months!
    Ahhhaha That's just awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Yes this is a movement in Indian head massage. My teacher said that some people in India when it is done from a young age can have their hair wrapped around the person giving the massages forearm and get lifted up by it because the roots are so strong from doing this.

This thread reminds me i really should be doing this on myself.
    This is so cool, something I could incorporate in scalp massages. I think there's one part in indian headmassage that involves pulling on the hair.
    I also agree with others that pulling the hair really thight for a long period of time might be counterproductive. But altering your hair in many kinds of ways might be a better alternative. Like wearing a high ponytail or bun from time to time instead of always wearing it low.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    tba/tba/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

It sounds to me like a lot of this can be attributed to keeping the hair from hanging loose, thus preventing damage (braids and such, and I've even found that a ponytail can help keep my hair from tangling as much, though I usually wear mine down anyway). I do think a scalp massage can be beneficial, and moderately-secure updos are a good idea, but too much tension at the root doesn't sound like a good idea.

Length
    waist/40"/knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cirafly24 View Post
    I actually know a girl that ties little weights to the ends of her dreadlocks every evening to help them grow faster and stronger. She swears by it. I never put much stock in the idea, but maybe I'll give gentle pulling a shot...
    I am sure all that does is straighten them out, though, which makes them *appear* longer

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    Having read that wearing tight braids and ponytails over time will damage hair, I can't think it would work.

Most likely, the people who went away, you noticed a change because they were gone for 2 months or so. When you don't see someone or you braid your hair for a period of time, it will appear longer because braids hike hair up, making it appear shorter.

Sorry, I'm thinking that's an old wives tale. Nothing can make hair grow faster---yes, you can stimulate the scalp to produce more blood flow, but you can't alter mother nature and your body's way of working.
    Well, the old wives' tale certainly does work for my family! Both my daughter and myself had waist length hair by age three (and we attribute this to wearing the hair up more often than not). I know plenty of kids who by that age just have shoulder length hair....so

ETA: Also, as an adult now my hair does *not* grow very fast at all, so I don't think it can be chalked up to just having a family with an above average growth rate.
    Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist!
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte:) View Post
    Ayurvedic methods of oil message include gentle hair pulling. Check this artical out for more information. The woman who wrote the artical got really long, thick, healthy hair from using this method.

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Holistic-A...h-to-Hair-Care
    There's actually no photo of the author's hair, so....

I do believe in gentle hair "pulling" - or rather wearing hair up in snug pony tails and buns, for speeding up growth.

But after reading this article I decided to do a vigorous scalp massage with lots of oil, following the author's directions. Before I even got to the hair pulling, I had shed two handfuls of hair. It was dreadful. The next morning when I washed the oil out, I also had a large hairball in the shower drain.

So I guess for some people, rough stimulation of the scalp is okay, but for me I'm going back to babying my scalp with gentle massages, scalp brushing and wearing my hair up. I've been doing so good at reducing my shedding the past few months and this one experiment really set me back.
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Length
    bob/BSL+/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii

When I was little and grew my hair out I used to do this while brushing because to my mind it made sense that when you tug on a knot, the string you are holding gets longer, so tugging on your hair should do the same, right? My hair always grew like a weed. I stopped when I was older because I thought it was silly and my growth did slow, so with seeing this thread I guess it's back to gentle tugging for me!
    Lady Sophrosyne of the Indigo Eyes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

The only way to truley know if this works would be to do an experiment on different aged people, and have them all do this.

For the poster who said this worked for them when they were a child, but your hair is slow to grow now, do you still wear your hair in tight ponytails? I would venture to guess that, like anything, its an old wives tale that people believe, but unless you actually record the growth, I think it's just an illusion. I don't deny your hair grew, but it's quite possible it coinsided with your natural hair growth.

My hair didn't grow in until I was 3 years old, and then, it didn't stop. I wore my hair loose the majority of the time. Now a days, I notice it doesn't grow as fast and I wear braids, ponytails, buns--hair is always back rather snug for work and if anything, all I noticed was more breakage.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    The only way to truley know if this works would be to do an experiment on different aged people, and have them all do this.

For the poster who said this worked for them when they were a child, but your hair is slow to grow now, do you still wear your hair in tight ponytails? I would venture to guess that, like anything, its an old wives tale that people believe, but unless you actually record the growth, I think it's just an illusion. I don't deny your hair grew, but it's quite possible it coinsided with your natural hair growth.

My hair didn't grow in until I was 3 years old, and then, it didn't stop. I wore my hair loose the majority of the time. Now a days, I notice it doesn't grow as fast and I wear braids, ponytails, buns--hair is always back rather snug for work and if anything, all I noticed was more breakage.
    To each their own....
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Not going to bother with this thread anymore. It seems like a lot of people want to ignore the most basic knowledge of LHC and believe that you can pull hair out of your scalp like a spiders thread
    Last edited by Igor; June 30th, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Length
    Short/27,4/TB:)
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzal2Be View Post
    There's actually no photo of the author's hair, so....
    I also noticed that

She claims fantastic results with this and talking about her hip length hair but showing the readers a strange ladys hair instead of her own, which actually would be interseting to see...?

I think she should posted pictures of her own hair at least, not a picture we don`t know where come from?

The author could be a semi bald middelaged man with beer gut and mesh singlet, and a thin limp ponytail, for all I know...