Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! I have a big matted knotted ball of hair!

Length
    24/24.25/38
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Help! I have a big matted knotted ball of hair!

Hair (like other protein fibers, such as wool or cashmere) is most fragile when it's wet. If it were me I'd work with it dry.
    buzz/ear/chin/shoulder/APL/BSL/waist/tailbone

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Hey there. Well it happened to me once.

My hair was to my navel. I went 1.5 months without brushing it, putting if off after the flu. I attempted everything I could at home. I went to Head Start and she tried getting it out for an hour and a half if I remember. They used their best product, but after so long my scalp was red and I was in tears from the pain. She informed me that the fact that I had been washing it actually made the matting worse. Also, if we had been able to get it out, my hair would have been so damaged it was pointless. So I got it cut in a small bob to my jawline. It wasn't fun, but I probably had no choice. Luckily for us, hair does grow.

Anyway, I hope some of the girls here are able to help you and offer the best methods available to you. I thought of cutting 1 snip at a time into the actual matted ball until you can wiggle or brush it out. You will lose all the hair in the ball, and your hair will be much thinner, but you will still have the length.

Good luck Fleur01! I hope you find a solution.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

GRU said everything I was going to say. Good luck and patience to you. I certainly hope you can comb this out and not have to cut it out. We are all cheering you on.
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I just found this thread under henna and recipies - Recipe: Detangling lotion w/ broccoli seed oil. It may help untangling that knot. Good luck!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.