Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supermodel hair...

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Supermodel hair...

EVERYONE WITH LONG WHO IS NOT A MEMBER OF TLHC DOES NOT HAVE EXTENSIONS!!!!!!!

Are extensions used in the model/fashion industry? Absolutely.
    Are they used on each and every model all the time? Certainly not

Unless the model has super short hair and a show calls for extra long lengths, the hairstylist will probably work with what she (the model) has. Also, the fashion industry is a very lucrative business. Top supermodels can make thousands of dollars a day. I'm sure that's more than enough to buy some treatments to prevent and minimize damage from their job.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Hair and skin are one of the main things that models are chosen for, so the supermodel secret is generally that they're born with it just like their beautiful skin, their height and body types. Very long hair is nearly always extensions but the majority of models maintain APL to BSL hair because it's flexible. For hair adverts the hair is generally dyed (it's natural colour) to make it shiner and then styled almost to death.
    Models don't that often have their hair dyed or cut for jobs because the shoot will have to pay ALOT for changing a model's appearance like that, so it's generally easier and cheaper to simply hire a model with the colouring you want. Most models only work two to four years tops, their hair takes a tremendous battering during that time. I have never understood why so many people want to be models, being professionally objectified is no fun no matter how good the money is.

Yes, these last few answers are good as I didn't mean 'celebrities', I meant models.
    For example, on here
    there are a lot with gorgeous hair

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by goldenbrunette View Post
    Yes, these last few answers are good as I didn't mean 'celebrities', I meant models.
    For example, on here
    there are a lot with gorgeous hair
    I actually think most of the women on there have pretty average looking hair. Of course when you see models on TV or in magazines, their hair is styled to perfection, but on this website, you see a lot of different kinds of hair. They definitely don't all have extensions. In fact, there are very few who I suspect might have extensions.

Length
    15/14/35
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

As a former model I can vouch that 99% of most models' hair (the nice ones) are extensions. When I was new I came into the scene with awesome TBL hair, which was my main selling point, but 6 months later I had to have it chopped to BSL because the bottom half of my hair was disintegrating from the styling. I found out that most of the other models have hair that are either SL or APL but they all have waist-long extensions which they frequently change once the fake hair gets worn out.

Extensions + styling + lighting + photoshop = amazing looking hair

Or on runway, extensions + extra hairpieces + styling = amazing looking hair

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

With some of the high fashion models I see I think they have wigs or extentions. I'm just not buying that a 5'10, 98 lb, anorexic model has beautiful, shiny hair. I do often wonder how the celebrities do it though. I have read that quite a few of them actually use oil treatments like us here on LHC

Length
    24"/28"/39"
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Cones can also make your hair look way better and healthier than it really is. I was shocked at how much damage showed up on my hair when I stopped using Aveda's awesome coney leave-in conditioner every day.
    Lover of fountain pens and disabled kitties.

RIP my sweet Jilly-bean. Your momma misses you.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by joiekimochi View Post
    As a former model I can vouch that 99% of most models' hair (the nice ones) are extensions. When I was new I came into the scene with awesome TBL hair, which was my main selling point, but 6 months later I had to have it chopped to BSL because the bottom half of my hair was disintegrating from the styling. I found out that most of the other models have hair that are either SL or APL but they all have waist-long extensions which they frequently change once the fake hair gets worn out.

Extensions + styling + lighting + photoshop = amazing looking hair

Or on runway, extensions + extra hairpieces + styling = amazing looking hair
    Thanks for this input! I don't know anything about the modeling business but have thought for a long time that they mostly wore extensions. I have watched America's Next Top Model a few times and find it sad that TB deems it necessary to lop off all the long hair and give all the girls with pixies outrageous extensions. Maybe that's just for the purpose of adding even more drama to the program.

Those models on that European website sure are pretty, and unique-looking too.

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    With some of the high fashion models I see I think they have wigs or extentions. I'm just not buying that a 5'10, 98 lb, anorexic model has beautiful, shiny hair. I do often wonder how the celebrities do it though. I have read that quite a few of them actually use oil treatments like us here on LHC
    Hmm, let me buffer that a bit... I very much doubt most models are anorexics, even if they use unhealthy practices to stay slim. It is highly possible that many are malnourished, but just because models must be underweight doesn't mean they're all unhealthy. (I've seen many a thread go down due to slim models being called anorexic!)

I also very much doubt that all the products in the world would let someone abuse their hair day in and day out to grow it out to waist and still look fabulous. Heat damages hair, and all the cones in the world can't change that. APL or BSL? Maybe. Beyond that, and something's fishy!

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I would like to play devil's advocate here for a moment. As a makeup artist, I work with models continually, and most have atleast BSL hair in decent condition.
    And not everyone's hair falls apart from the abuse. Until six weeks ago I heat styled my hair DAILY, and my hair is bleached, colored and highlighted. And in fantastic shape....... I am at hip length, it grows like a weed, and I abused the heck out of it for years. That doesn't mean you can't grow awesome healthy hair, some people easily can. It just depends on the individual.