Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

I recently did a chemical glaze to darken my hair. I loooove the color ,but about two weeks after the process, I started shedding double the amount that I usually do and I'm still shedding. I've noticed that parts of my scalp look thinner. Could it really be from the dye? I know it causes damage such as dryness and now I'm regretting it ,but I wasn't expecting this. Is it because of how harsh the chemicals are on the scalp? Has anyone else experienced this? I know some people can dye their hair all the time and have no problems. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Chopandchange, I should have taken your advice.

Spidermom, Help!!

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

What product exactly did you use? I used Revlon hair dye once when I used to chemical dye and I shed a lot after the process. Enough that I never used that dye again:. You never know what your scalp reacts to.

But do you have any other stuff going on as well? Like illness, conditions, change in medicines, extreme stress? Are you eating properly?

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

When I was using chemical color I did shed a lot when rinsing out the color.
    Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist!
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh gosh; I wish I could help. It could be a reaction to the chemicals or it could be that the weather has changed, you're under stress, or something else. I know if it were me I'd take very basic care of my hair -- very gentle washings when needed, water rinses only as often as possible, condition the length -- and let my scalp rest.

I hope the shedding stops soon.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

hang in there. There are a number of reasons you could be experiencing a shed. How much darker did you go w/your glaze? Have you used it before? Keep in mind that summer is a natural shedding month for many of us. If you are wearing your hair up more and brushing/combing less, you will see more hair come out at a time than you are used to seeing. Stress, dietary changes, and hormone balances all come into play as well. It might be the glaze, but that seems odd, if it was just a glaze and not full color.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I am going through a large shed right now and I think it is the weather. My dog is doing the same thing, so we are shedding together

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

The only shedding I ever had with color was during the coloring proccess (mainly noticed during the rinse-out, as mentioned by Rapunzel2be). I think it's probably just that time of year. I feel like I've shed a few squirrels worth in the shower over the last couple weeks and I'm pretty sure it's just from the heating up of the world. Mine seems to have stopped finally thank goodness.

My hair is thicker since quitting chemical color, but again my shed from it was always while the chemicals were on my head. I'd think yours was from other factors if you dyed weeks ago.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

You say you did a chemical glaze, what product exactly did you use? That will help since there are many types of chemical colors, some have nastier ingredients than others and everyone has different sensitivity levels. Have you colored your hair previously with something similar and noticed the same results, or are you just more aware of it since joining LHC?

There are many factors that can cause shedding, a sensitivity to one of the chemicals in the color, seasonal shedding, something changing in your routine, hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, etc.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Ravenna Night - The product that I used is from Sally's. It's called Ion Demi Permanent with No Ammonia with the developer for Sensitive Scalp. Have you heard of this? I'm trying to think of other factors such as diet or stress ,but nothing else has changed too much. It could be this product because I have never shed this much after a glaze. I'm wondering if it was too strong. It is acting like permanent color, not washing out or fading at all. From now on, only henna color.

Spidermom - Thank you. Sorry I had to call out for your help ,but it's scary. I took pics of my scalp and it's bad. I will try babying my hair and scalp for a while. Gentle washes like you said.

Medievalmaniac - I'm really trying to pinpoint something that I'm doing differently. I have been working more ,but I've also been taking yoga and finally got rid of my panic attack issues a few months back. I'm going to think more about it. My diet isn't really the best. It's just weird how it happened after I dyed it.

Ultra Belle - lol!! I hope it's just the season.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by oceanwoman111 View Post
    Ravenna Night - The product that I used is from Sally's. It's called Ion Demi Permanent with No Ammonia with the developer for Sensitive Scalp. Have you heard of this? I'm trying to think of other factors such as diet or stress ,but nothing else has changed too much. It could be this product because I have never shed this much after a glaze. I'm wondering if it was too strong. It is acting like permanent color, not washing out or fading at all. From now on, only henna color.

Spidermom - Thank you. Sorry I had to call out for your help ,but it's scary. I took pics of my scalp and it's bad. I will try babying my hair and scalp for a while. Gentle washes like you said.

Medievalmaniac - I'm really trying to pinpoint something that I'm doing differently. I have been working more ,but I've also been taking yoga and finally got rid of my panic attack issues a few months back. I'm going to think more about it. My diet isn't really the best. It's just weird how it happened after I dyed it.

Ultra Belle - lol!! I hope it's just the season.
    What volume developer did you use and what ratio?
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!