Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

I used to color my hair all the time (for yrs.) & I think that it made my hair shed and also made the hair finer in texture. As my hair is growing out now the hair at the end of the strand is a lot finer than at the root area. When I run the strand through my fingers I can feel the strand & as it gets to the colored area you can hardly feel the strand, feels almost like a spider web or something.
    I may be able to change my texture from "fine" to med. texture.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I have had shedding due to products. I had to quit using chemicals because I became sensative. I itch alot though when that happens so if you arent itching it might not be that. When I had my sheds I doused my head with castor oil and that helped stop it.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I agree that it looks like your part is wider because there is a line where the dye stops and your natural color begins, and your natural color is a lot lighter than the dye.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams_in_Pink View Post
    I'm no expert at hairdye stuff, but maybe you're slowly developing an allergy to PPD dyes? Does the dye you used have PPD in it?
    Good point. I developed a PPD allergy, and maybe 2 colorings before my scalp started shedding, I experienced massive shedding. After each color it would last maybe 3 weeks. Wish I had figured it out then, but I didn't realize it was an allergy until my scalp turned pink and swelled!

oceanwoman111
    , if you're going to dye again, please make sure to do the patch test first!I'd hate for you to have a reaction if it is that.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Thanks to everyone for spending time trying to help me figure this out. I really appreciate it. I don't know if it's the lighter hair growing in factor because I was examining tonight and there isn't any lighter, virgin hair there yet. It's all scalp unfortunately. Would be comforting if it was. I met with my cousin tonight who dyes her hair often and noticed some thinning in the front hairline too. I guess certain hair is more sensitive and can't handle the chemicals as well. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I'm just bummed because it felt like it was really thickening up. Well, lesson learned. Just have to be gentle with it for awhile and let my scalp calm down. Castor Oiled last night. The hair that is left is in great condition though. hehe That's a plus!! Have to try to be optimistic.

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Oh I see, in the pic that I posted, the flash made it look like I have a section of much lighter hair ,but it's just the oil shine reflecting the flash. The hair from the scalp to the bottom is all uniform. There is no lighter section. Sorry, I should take a better pic.

Length
    chin/waist/clssc
    Type
    3a/3b/C/ii/iii

I've experienced that too. I think I've lost more than 1/2 of my hair due to one chemical dye experience. Nobody notices, because I still have plenty. But when I braid it, i certainly do notice.
    Never doing that again. !

Insta: @giftedcursed

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nera View Post
    I've experienced that too. I think I've lost more than 1/2 of my hair due to one chemical dye experience. Nobody notices, because I still have plenty. But when I braid it, i certainly do notice.
    Never doing that again. !
    Wow! Yes, imagine my 1b/f/m/ii hair with a loss like this. There's no way to hide it. I won't do it again either. I don't think I noticed the damage as much when I colored it before LHC ,but now I notice changes in my hair. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your hair is gorgeous! Did it thicken back up after you stopped coloring?

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Hello friends!! I'm happy to report the the shedding has drastically slowed down. Now I'm just hoping that some of the thinner patches fill in. It will take time ,but luckily it's moving in a good direction. Thanks again!!

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I see tons of what looks like baby hairs. I'm not sure if it's growth or if it's from breakage. Either way it's hair and the shedding has stopped. Things have really shaped up in the past week.