Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

This is embarrassing ,but I am posting a pic. If anything as a cautionary tale of the consequences of chemical hair dye. I don't mean to sound so somber ,but my natural part has nearly doubled in size. Sorry for the slight blur.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=74839

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    What volume developer did you use and what ratio?
    Hmmm. It says 10 volume developer. It had massive shine to it. I used equal parts of both.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

How much darker did you go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the picture it just appears that your natural part has seemed to widen because of the line of your roots showing and how pale your scalp is against the darker color. When I used to color my hair black years ago, my natural color was so much lighter it looked like my hair was thinning drastically but really it was just my roots. I had fine thin hair and still do, so it definitely was a cause for alarm but it's just an illusion making it seem worse than it is. Check your circumference of your ponytail if you knew it beforehand and see if it has decreased, that way you'll know for sure if your hair has thinned or not.
    I don't think you have too much to worry about, two weeks later is a long time to wait before a reaction would show up and 10 volume developer is very weak and deposit only. If you're truly worried and it does not stop I'd suggest seeing a doctor and getting some blood work done to test your thyroid, iron levels, and hormones to make sure everything is how it should be for peace of mind. Good luck!
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Kwaniesiam - Thank you. My natural color is a medium to dark brown ,but my hair is also fine. Maybe the contrast is making my scalp more noticeable and like you said lighter hair is growing out giving it the illusion of a wider part. I hope so. I just feel like there is a lot less. You know how when you rub your fingers through your hair and it just doesn't feel like usual. I think I will make an appointment for some blood tests just to be safe because I have never had a reaction like this to color. Thanks again! You've been very helpful.

Length
    18.00/22.5/29
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I've used this dye before and I wasn't a big fan of it. I worked at Sally's for about a year and a lot of stylists came in to buy this hair dye. I've used it a couple of times. It smells a lot better than other dyes, but I wasn't too impressed with the color.

Did you happen to get any dye on your scalp? Not just your hair, but on the skin on your scalp? Because this will dry your scalp out a lot. It happens on accident sometimes and maybe this is what happened. The developer will probably cause this before the Ion dye will.

The best advice I can give it to aloe vera/vitamen e oil, etc on your scalp for a week or so and see if that helps. I don't remember shedding more hair than normal with this dye, but I was also using bleach and other dyes so I'm not a good person to ask.

Length
    ??/38/42
    Type
    1b/C/iii

I think you are imagining things because you're not very comfortable with using chemicals. Considering you used something with no ammonia, demi permanent with a very low volume, I'm sure you didn't damage your hair dramatically with one dye. It could be with maneuvering your hair to dye, hair is falling out that would fall out anyway. Also, I found that since I've dyed my hair back to it's natural dark color, I am more aware when I shed... and it's everywhere! I can't see your pictures so I can't judge from the pictures. But I agree with a previous poster that it probably look wider because of the contrast of the darker hair and the whiter scalp. =) I'm sure you're not shedding abnormally.

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kome View Post
    I've used this dye before and I wasn't a big fan of it. I worked at Sally's for about a year and a lot of stylists came in to buy this hair dye. I've used it a couple of times. It smells a lot better than other dyes, but I wasn't too impressed with the color.

Did you happen to get any dye on your scalp? Not just your hair, but on the skin on your scalp? Because this will dry your scalp out a lot. It happens on accident sometimes and maybe this is what happened. The developer will probably cause this before the Ion dye will.

The best advice I can give it to aloe vera/vitamen e oil, etc on your scalp for a week or so and see if that helps. I don't remember shedding more hair than normal with this dye, but I was also using bleach and other dyes so I'm not a good person to ask.
    This is a great point. I usually do it myself or go to the salon ,but this time I had a friend help me for better coverage. Well, there was dye everywhere and it took her some time to get through my whole head so it was sitting on my scalp for a long time. Probably longer than it should have been. Come to think of it, the places where she started are the places that seem to have thinned out the most.

Length
    21/31.5/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Heartgoesboom - I wish I was imagining things. I've used chemical dyes for years on and off so I do have experience with them. What's normal and what's not. Hopefully it will stop soon. Thanks.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I'm no expert at hairdye stuff, but maybe you're slowly developing an allergy to PPD dyes? Does the dye you used have PPD in it?

(I hope the shedding stops soon, you know how i adore your hair!)

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/38/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by oceanwoman111 View Post
    Hmmm. It says 10 volume developer. It had massive shine to it. I used equal parts of both.
    10 volume is a weak developer in comparison. I'd think if you glazed two weeks ago and only used 10, then you are just experiencing seasonal shedding. I highly doubt this is the glaze - but I do know it's scary when you think you are losing your hair!!! Hope all settles down soon!
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK