Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twist on a Stick

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Twist on a Stick

That's a great tip for flipping the video, GRU! I tried it, and it definitely works, although I have to contort myself to view it and the image isn't quite as clear (maybe I need a larger mirror or one on a stand), but it does the job. Thank you!!!
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pixna View Post
    That's a great tip for flipping the video, GRU! I tried it, and it definitely works, although I have to contort myself to view it and the image isn't quite as clear (maybe I need a larger mirror or one on a stand), but it does the job. Thank you!!!
    Yay! So glad that it worked for you!

So, now we want to see some of your successful twist-on-a-stick pictures!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It may not be for a few more months, GRU. While I now have it figured out, my hair is a few inches shy of being able to be tucked in. So I can get the first part of the twist, but then the rest of my hair is hanging it out and the twist comes undone. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that until my hair grows a couple more inches. Any suggestions for modifying the twist so it could work for me now?

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

My hair is plenty long to be tucked in but it WON'T stay tucked in.

My hair stick anchoring has to be done after the hair is all twisted.

That's why a lazy wrap bun doesn't work for my hair. Darn it. Too slippery.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

That's too bad, Jane. Oddly, I have no problem with a Lazy Wrap Bun -- my hair seems to be long enough for that one. I'm sorry you can't do the twist. I wonder if anyone has any tips for you so you could find a way to make it work.

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

The lazy wrap just falls apart for me.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

It may not be for a few more months, GRU. While I now have it figured out, my hair is a few inches shy of being able to be tucked in. So I can get the first part of the twist, but then the rest of my hair is hanging it out and the twist comes undone. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that until my hair grows a couple more inches. Any suggestions for modifying the twist so it could work for me now?

Hmmm, it sounds like you're missing something in the execution. Even relatively short hair should be able to do this bun. And if you notice in the video, Tresses has a HUGE length of ends sticking out, but the twist itself looks quite secure.

Can you add in any extra twists before doing the "flip" part of it (when you push the stick in)? In the video, the top end of Tresses' stick goes from 12:00 to 9:00 before the flip/insert point.

As you start to twist, pull the stick farther away from the back of your head to give you more room, and go another 180 degrees with the stick before flipping. In your case with it reversed, you currently go counter-clockwise from 12:00 to 3:00; try taking it all the way around again to 9:00 and see if that tightens things up. This extra length / extra twisting also helps to capture the layer ends inside the twist part.

I just did one where I got my hand to 6:00 and flipped and it looks kind of like a comma-shaped French Twist. I'll try to post a pic later.

You may find that you have to start off-center if you add in extra twists, as the bun part gets elongated and might not be evenly placed in the back of your head.

If this doesn't work for you, maybe you could post a pic or video of what you're doing and how it goes wrong so we could try to find a step that would help you out?

I'm sorry you can't do the twist.
    Okay, am I the only one with Chubby Checker's song going through their heads now???

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I started to think of the Chubby Checker song as soon as I posted that -- but I wasn't sure anyone else would pick up on it!

I think you're on to something, GRU. I tried starting the twist at a different point/angle, further away from my head, and did more twists, and all of that definitely made a difference. I'm going to have to experiment with where I start it and where I flip it. I've got one in now where the stick is totally vertical -- not my best look (I would rather that it is angled from 10:00 to 4:00 or totally horizontal). I am clearly going to need much more practice with this one!!

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

You also don't need to start the angle of the stick the same way. Experiment with starting the stick horizontally, vertically, and diagonally (in both directions) -- you'll end up in a different position each time that way, and you can choose the one that looks best for you (and adjust it from time to time as you add more length, too).

I'll be waiting for those pictures!!!!

Sipping Darjeeling with Jesus and LisaJaney
    Length
    24/42.5/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'm glad the video is helpful to you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Glad that the link helped -- I found it in the list of articles right here at LHC.

As for the too-tight-twist (say that three times fast!), try pulling the stick a little farther away from your head when you start. If your hair is short or you have layers, you can also try to fold your ends into it while you're twisting.
    Yes, starting the stick farther away from your head definitely helps keep it from getting too tight. I still have to readjust this from time to time, when I make this updo.

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    You also don't need to start the angle of the stick the same way. Experiment with starting the stick horizontally, vertically, and diagonally (in both directions) -- you'll end up in a different position each time that way, and you can choose the one that looks best for you (and adjust it from time to time as you add more length, too).

I'll be waiting for those pictures!!!!
    I also start this updo with the stick at different angles to get the finished product to look a little different. In order to get the stick at the angle shown in the following pic, I start with it tilted at about the opposite angle:

As for tucking in my ends: even though I didn't show it on the video, I almost always put a GHD pin or two in to secure them. My hair is too slippery to do without them.

And yes, Pixna, pics would be lovely!

~ click the pic ~