Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly am I doing with this Aloe Vera Gel ??

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: What exactly am I doing with this Aloe Vera Gel ??

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    Thank you, thank you !! Off to get jojoba, glycerin and distiller water. Can't wait to try this !!!!!!! Maybe it will be the miracle I have been waiting for
    Any suggestions on which essential oils and how much to add ??
    Remember that not all oils play well with all people. Jojoba oil makes my hair greasy in a way the coconut oil doesn't, even the amount used in this recipe. Grapeseed oil plays with my hair better in this recipe. I used the jojoba oil on other parts of my body.

Another use for the aloe gel is to mix it with coconut oil and use that as a defrizz gel and curl encouraging leave in. That's how I most often use it. A thread for this mix.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I have some grape seed oil, so I might try that.
    I did use the Aloe Vera Gel today after my shower. On damp hair I misted my leave in conditioner and then I used the aloe gel instead of my regular $12 hair gel. The aloe worked well and my hair feels nice and soft. I think I am going to try the other recipes as well, and stock up on aloe too
    I have had aloe in my cupboard for years in case of a burn or something, who knew I could have been putting it on my hair this whole time !

Length
    pixie/pixie/??

Not sure if it's okay to ask this here, but does aloe vera gel clean your hair too? The reason I'm thinking this is because aloe vera is the second ingredient in my WEN cleaning conditioner. Maybe it's there as a conditoner or is it there as a cleaning agent?? Anyway, I was thinking of adding it to some of my other less expensive cond. or putting it on my hair dry before I CO. Thanks!

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've just rediscovered the aloe I bought for SMTs last year in my bathroom cabinet and have been using it to great effect to battle my frizz and give good, non-crunchy wave definition. No special recipe for me -- just a glob of aloe scrunched through my wet hair, then a fingernail's worth of coconut oil.

Now if only I could get my hands on some more exotic oils for experimentation . . .

Crazycatlady, I don't know the answer to your question. It leaves my hands sticky and squeaky after I plop it through my hair, but I don't know if it would work as a cleanser, especially on dry hair. Now adding it to other conditioners -- that's basically like a modified SMT

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I really like Kimberlily's defrizz spray. You could try it on your trip to Florida. It *might* be strong enough to fight off the sea spray and hellish humidity causing frizzes...

Since your hair seems to be close to mine in type, I just wanted to tell you about the effect glycerin had on my hair. Very strangely over moisturized, which caused extra frizzies, just bigger curl to them. If I understand correctly, glycerin is a humectant, so draws moisture to the hair...

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TiaKitty View Post
    I really like Kimberlily's defrizz spray. You could try it on your trip to Florida. It *might* be strong enough to fight off the sea spray and hellish humidity causing frizzes...

Since your hair seems to be close to mine in type, I just wanted to tell you about the effect glycerin had on my hair. Very strangely over moisturized, which caused extra frizzies, just bigger curl to them. If I understand correctly, glycerin is a humectant, so draws moisture to the hair...
    Yay !!!!!! You are right, I am getting ready to go to Florida !!!!

I leave Thursday, and yes, I so need frizz help while there. I get off the plane and *POOF*

Length
    1/4"/40"/Term
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

When I tried aloe vera (the clear kind by Fruit of the Earth) as a leave-in light hold gel, it caused horrible buildup that took three washes to get out (finally had to use shampoo, normally I CO).

However, when mixed with conditioner or other ingredients it makes for a great deep treatment, such as in SMT.

No one else seems to have the same problem with buildup so maybe it was just a fluke. I just thought I'd mention it in case you have the same problem, but I hope it works well for you!

Length
    8in/BSL/thigh
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I mix it half and half with my other hair gel. I've been doing this for a month of so and I really like the fact that my hair seems softer and less frizzy, and my hair gel is lasting longer too. Which is nice for my wallet.