Thread: Accent Braids for the Uncoordinated and Impatient - Advice?

Angry Accent Braids for the Uncoordinated and Impatient - Advice?

Hi

I would like to start using accent braids to try and give my updos some interest and softness.

The problem is, I am not too gifted in the updo department, and lose my temper pretty quickly. On top of this my hair seems to braid itself from the bottom up when I braid (I don't know why/how) - which means I have to keep untangling as I go. Plus, I can't seem to figure out how to do the parting for accent braids in a way that doesn't cause scalp cleavage.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I go for a particular type of braid, use a product beforehand.....?

Accent Braids for Dummies needed, in short.......

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Accent Braids for the Uncoordinated and Impatient - Advice?

My hair can braid itself from the bottom up as well sometimes, so like you, I have to run my fingers gently through to the ends after every braid crossing. My hair isn't even close to being as long as yours though, so I can see why this would be frustrating. I don't see any way around that though.

In order to hide the scalp cleavage made by the part for the accent braids, I pull my hair toward the back of my head to braid it, instead of braiding straight down.

I think the easiest braid for you to do if you're impatient is likely a simple 3 strand braid. 2 strand twists (ropes) are nice, but they can be slower to make. You could give it a try though and see how you like it. Herringbones also look very unusual, but they can take so long to do. I don't recommend it.

You can also try a face-framing braid, like a lace braid. Making a lace braid is just like making a French braid on each side of your head, but instead of adding hair to both sides of the braid, you only add hair from the side closest to your face. It's easier than making a French braid, really.

No matter how you look at it, you are going to have to exercise some patience in order to make accent braids.

I have learned a great deal of patience in doing such things since I joined LHC.

Good luck. I hope you get more answers.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Get some extension hair the same color as yours and make a few basic braids out of it and pin them around your updo of choice. That way nothing messy to have to untangle when you take the updo down and you can quickly and easily add them whenever you'd like. You don't have to use real hair, Sally's has some synthetic hair in a variety of colors available for quite cheap and in very long lengths. For just a pinned on braid it won't matter if it's real hair or not. This will also help with the scalp cleavage problem. HTH!
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Thanks for your responses, guys

FrannyG, I do need to try and be more patient. I've had a look at Youtube for some simple videos to follow that hopefully won't result in screeching and swearing.

kwaniesiam, that's a really good idea. I'll have to hunt down some realistic extension hair - it only tends to be in blonde or brunette here.