Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you used hot sticks for curling hair?

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Have you used hot sticks for curling hair?

Hey! I recently saw these beautiful photos of a girl who curled her very long hair with hot sticks and today a friend sold me her unused Conair hot sticks for only $3!

(http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/363620)
    (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Hot...rsetter/882976)

I was wondering, will using these sticks damage my hair a lot? I have very heavy, straight hair and curling irons/hot rollers never work for me (even with hairspray >.<). I do have a few split ends from these experiences, so should I buy a heat protection spray this time? What kind do you use?

I rarely curl my hair (maybe 2-3 times a year) but I'd like to have a method that works when I need it. =)

Any suggestions/advice?

Length
    chin/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Have you used hot sticks for curling hair?

I have non-heat curlers that are that shape... they work basically like rag rollers but are easier to take in/out. They work pretty well, and my hair generally doesn't like to be curled.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Hey there! I own a set of Hot Sticks and my straight hair is about 35 inches long. I was blown away by the fact that they actually do work. Spray, roll, spray, leave for like 15 minutes or until they cool off. I don't know anything about heat protection spray, though. I think you'll be fine since you don't do it much like me. By the way, the hair spray I use with them is Pantene Ice Shine - Level 4. I highly recommend it.

Just remember to be gentle with them because they are indeed covered in soft but grabbing rubber. I only manage to break one hair on my head when I curl with them. The only con I can think of is sometimes they're uneven in length.

Bottom line: the darn things WORK!

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Yay! I'm so excited that they work for you!

I get a little worried about using hairspray, though, because it makes my hair crunchy x.x

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Yeah I know how that is. But the spray doesn't smell too bad, and it won't be visibly "crunchy" unless you really overdo it. Unfortunately for my hair to curl I use have to use it! Small price to pay to me, though, since I get curls for that nice occasion. ^^

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

::sigh:: Tried the hot sticks out this evening, didn't work too well for me. Couldn't get the tight curl I was looking for. Oh well!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

MicheleClaire48, I have Hotsticks from when I used to use heat products. To be honest, they never worked well for me when I used them with heat.

However, now I use them cool, with excellent results. I spritz my hair with a tiny bit of distilled water and a dab of Morrocco Method gel. It only takes about 2 hours for them to air dry and set. Obviously, this is not quick and easy for doing in the morning before work, but it's great when you have the time.

I have really tight spiral curls after doing that. They last all day. The trick is not having my hair too damp, just very slightly. I also find the MM Gel to be excellent, and it has no alcohol in it, and it keeps my hair shiny, unlike drugstore gel.

I plan to use the sticks tomorrow or the next day and I'll post photos. We have similar hair types, and my hair doesn't ordinarily hold a curl very well.

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

That's awesome, thanks! I can't wait until I have enough posts to have an album of my hair photos and to see other albums, too. =)

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Oh no I can't believe it didn't work for you! I was sure it would, my hair doesn't ever give in to any kind of curling but hot sticks and pantene spray. I'm sorry!

How do you see people's albums? It forbids me from looking at user's profiles for some reason. :\

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Here is a photo of the curls I made with cool HotSticks this morning. I used them as I described in my last post, spritzing with the tiniest bit of distilled water and applying a tiny dab of Morrocco Method Gel.

I only left the HotSticks in for about 90 minutes.

ETA: I should add that I only used 7 sticks and I only curled from the ears down. If I used smaller sections and more sticks, I would have tighter curls.

If for some reason you can't see the photo in this post, here is the link:
    Last edited by FrannyG; June 18th, 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: To Add ETA