Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalp Massage and Low Manipulation

Length
    2"/pixie/bsl

Default Scalp Massage and Low Manipulation

I have been getting/giving myself daily scalp massages which help with growth/shedding/FEEL GREAT but I just realized; couldn't the constant ruffling and rubbing of my hair be just as bad for it as excessive brushing?

I guess the problem lies in the fact that I have short hair, and its not just the scalp that's getting a workout. My hair's about 4" long and gets quite roughed up from vigorous massages!

Could you be messing with the cuticle or damaging your hair in any way with these massages?!

<paranoid/>

Default Re: Scalp Massage and Low Manipulation

Yes unfortunately.. and thats why I stopped. My hair got so tangled even when I was careful

Length
    ear/Shldr/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I don't think you're supposed to rough your hair up when you're doing a scalp massage. you are supposed to use the pads of your fingers in a way that massages the scalp only, and not the hair itself. not really sure of any other way to explain it but when you're massaging, you can feel the skin on your scalp kind of moving i guess?.. eh

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyca View Post
    I don't think you're supposed to rough your hair up when you're doing a scalp massage. you are supposed to use the pads of your fingers in a way that massages the scalp only, and not the hair itself. not really sure of any other way to explain it but when you're massaging, you can feel the skin on your scalp kind of moving i guess?.. eh
    You mean you're not supposed to move your fingers across your scalp... but instead keep your fingers in place and move your skin back and forth?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Somewhere in the forest of Sevenwaters...
    Length
    14.75/15"/19"
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I have pixie hair but still massage my scalp. I agree with Kalyca that you are supposed to feel your scalp move and use the pads of your fingers without disturbing the hair too much.

Under the mountains and ever changing clouds.
    Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    You mean you're not supposed to move your fingers across your scalp... but instead keep your fingers in place and move your skin back and forth?
    Yes and no. A scalp massage should be possible even with your hair up (I'm not saying your style will stay perfectly, nor recommending this as an all-over technique but the mussing should be minimal and will not pull strands loose).

The movements are localized and tiny: the motion of your fingers in one place should be less than a centimeter and focused on light pressure and stimulation. Your skin will move slightly.

Length
    ear/Shldr/waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    yeah! that's exactly what I mean, thanks

Length
    17'/29'/30'
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Ooh, turns out I've been doing scalp massages wrong! Thanks for the tips everyone
    From APL to Waist!

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

There are different ways of doing it, but think of it like a regular massage on your skin - you don't really rake the fingers over the skin, but you press inwards and massage the area you're pressing in a circular motion (I know there are many different types of massage, but this is what most people think of and do). You can also just press and hold, like a pressure point massage.

If you're being too vigorous and doing it often, I imagine you could cause damage over time. A gentle massage with just your fingertips massaging the scalp should suffice. If you want to reduce friction you could use some oil on your scalp too.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Some people just tip their head upside down from time to time, as this creates blood flow to the scalp as well. I don't know if this would be as effective as scalp massaging, though.
    ~ I was forever staring at the tender blue veins along the inside of my wrists; fragile twigs trapped under ice. ~