Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What undertone is my hair? *Pic*

Default What undertone is my hair? *Pic*

I dyed my blonde hair with a demi permanent "dark blonde" that turned a dark rich warm chocolate brown! So needless to say I've washed my hair a dozen times in two days trying to get the dye out. Some parts have lightened up significantly, but it's still way darker than I like on myself.
    Problem #1 was there was a lot of red in it for some reason, so I got a dye additive to take out most of the red. It seems to have worked a bit.
    So now, my hair looks like this (and I absolutely hate it). But I can't tell what undertone it is. Is this what you would call "brassy"... is it gold, or red, or neither one?

Next to my pic is my "goal" pic (hubbys hair). That is pretty much my natural color except I get natural high lights once it's grown out a bit, so it's more blond. So that is my "base" color that I am trying to get back to.

Can anyone help me categorize my current color to help me get to my goal color?

Thanks!

Current:

Goal:

Length
    22 in/25 in/34 in

Default Re: What undertone is my hair? *Pic*

From the first pic it looks to have golden undertones. In order to get it back to your original color you'll likely want to go with something that has "cool" or "ash" in the title. Keep in mind, however, that when putting color on top of color it will not come out exactly like the picture on the box/swatch.

Now, keep in mind, I'm a newbie and these are just my best guesses. I'd definitely wait till some of the more experienced members weigh in. Also, since you used a demi rather than an outright permanent color it may be possible to get it back or close to your natural color by natural means, but again, I'm not sure.

Speaking as someone who has had many a haircolor come out wrong, I hope it works out for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I'd also call your undertone goldeny or reddish, but I'm afraid I have utterly no experience in dyeing hair. Hope all goes well with you and you get the color you're hoping to attain!

Ok so we have 1 for golden!!!

There are toners I can buy to cancel out the golden that would hopefully ash it a bit... but just gotta make sure that IS what it is..

I REALLY appreciate it, thanks!

Sally's has a dye additive to remove "RED & GOLD" where as before I just used the RED only one. So if people keep saying gold I will buy that one and give it a go.

Length
    22 in/25 in/34 in

Indeed they do. Now, I will say to definitely be sure to do a strand test, especially using the additive. I used the No-Red in a red hair color once, at a Sally's employee's suggestion to take out unwanted brass and it actually turned a really beautiful medium red shade into a dark reddish brown. Again, color on top of color...Absolutely strand test.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I agree - it's gold. Wait awhile before you start messing with the color, though. More of the dye may come out.

Length
    17/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I think that color is gorgeous, actually. Personally, I would leave it alone. I'm willing to bet that it will wash out/fade to the point that you won't have any visible demarcation line, then you can just grow your natural color out. It's less risky than continuing to mess with the color.

(I bleached my hair after a semi-permanent left it strawberry blond. If I had just left it alone, the color would be long gone, but instead I still have several inches of damage to show for it.)

To answer your question, I agree that you've got some golden undertones going on!

Length
    APL/<BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

You might try toning it with something violet or blue based- blue would cancel out orangey tones while violet would cancel out a yellow tone.

It will keep growing and growing and growing....

Quote Originally Posted by mellie89 View Post
    I think that color is gorgeous, actually. Personally, I would leave it alone. I'm willing to bet that it will wash out/fade to the point that you won't have any visible demarcation line, then you can just grow your natural color out. It's less risky than continuing to mess with the color.

(I bleached my hair after a semi-permanent left it strawberry blond. If I had just left it alone, the color would be long gone, but instead I still have several inches of damage to show for it.)

To answer your question, I agree that you've got some golden undertones going on!

Well at least someone likes the color-- thanks! But it just doesn't go well with my skin tone. I have really ruddy/pink/flushed skin.. especially my cheeks. The red/gold tones make it worse!! I feel like I can't go with out some foundation on my cheek or I look really harsh featured!
    I read that "cool" tones should stick to ashes/platinum/ or unnatural bright reds... and for me, I agree!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice =) I really appreciate having multiple opinions!!
    I definitely *wont* be dying it again, the worst I'll do is tone with developer/ammonia free products so it won't damage.

I am going to pick up some prell shampoo and and switch out my sulfate free shampoo for it to help the fading process.. maybe once it's faded more I will do a toner for the gold...

*Sigh* one of these days I'll have the hair I want!!! As long as I stop messing with it LOL (virgin natural long hair!!)