View Poll Results: Type iii hair - how thick is yours?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 4"

25 15.24%
  • 4" - 4.5"

78 47.56%
  • 4.5" - 5"

27 16.46%
  • 5"- 5.5"

13 7.93%
  • 5.5" - 6"

14 8.54%
  • Over 6"

7 4.27%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Type iii - how thick is yours?

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by justgreen View Post
    Tabitha: You are looking really slim in that siggy of yours!
    Thank you, Justy! (what with you and Euphony, this thread risks making my head swell)

I think my biggest bugbear with my thickness is what Curlsgirl just said about not being able to do certain styles. There are so many pretty styles tantalising me on here! Even at "waist-if-stretched", the KarenLynn knot still evades me and my ends won't stay in an infinity/figure 8 bun.

I'm not sure how much extra I would have if I didn't have a fringe but I'm in the process of growing out half of it (hairdresser changed his mind, and told me to grow some so fringe was less thick and blocky).

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    pixie/41''/term?
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Not sure, I THINK it was 11cm which would be 4.3 inches.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14846&dateline=121016  5357 Spot the difference?

Blewyn Euraid
    Length
    TB/TB/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

My hair "classes" as iii with hair just over 4 inches. But I really cant see it as thick as it used to be way thicker but as I got longer it thinned out a bit!

Length
    32/46/dunno
    Type
    1a/M/iii

Mine is right at 4 inches, on the money. It might go up a tiiiiny bit when the rest of my bangs catch up to the back of my neck (which is where I measure), but I just put myself in the ii/iii category in general, because I'm unsure about it's category.

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I'm not iii just ii/iii with 4.1" ponytail... *little confused here*

Pros/ Cons:
    There is none- my hair does not appear thick since its so straight and slippery Volume is a rare guest.
    I also have lots of taper so my buns start off thick but after half a twist they fade into nothing to end up as average size.

somewhere between discontent & disillusionment
    Length
    short/BSL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I put 5.5 -- mine is 6 in a "loose" ponytail, which is how I wear it, but if I put a tight ponytail-holder on it, it's a bit smaller obviously.

I like that it *can* look nice, even though it usually doesn't (hmph), and that I don't have to worry about balding -- in fact, I look forward to losing a little as I get older!

The cons are updos, which I still find impossible though you guys give me hope, drying-time and rinsing-time, and the fact that I can't go near a stylist because they always, always screw it up.

Actually I've hated my thick hair most of my life, but you guys are going to change that, I can feel it!
    "We dare not despair, because in a real crisis the pessimists die fast." - Bruce Sterling

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I've always been a bit unsure as whether or not to categorize myself as a ii/iii or iii. I stuck with iii because I can measure anywhere from a 4 to a 4.5 with the most consistent measurement at a 4.25, and once as big as 5 right after a cassia treatment.

I think if people are right at 4 they should put down a iii because ii has a wide range to it, but still iii has a much bigger range. So I dunnoh. I guess whatever makes you comfortable. I also think if you have a hard time measuring the circumference yourself that's almost always a clear sign that you are a iii. I'd probably get a bigger measurement if I did it right on top of my head instead of at my nape, but I'm not that dexterous. And ponytail holders could shrink it, so I don't quite know how the best way to measure it is. I've been told how to do it and it makes sense in theory, but then my hair eats the tape measure, and I give up and declare myself a iii!

Cons: If I wear too many up dos and it's hot, like it almost always is here, I need to wash my hair sooner because my scalp gets sweaty and gunky.

Pros: Thick hair may require more henna, but you don't necessarily have to henna it all! I have some middle pieces on the back of my head that haven't been hennaed since March, and maybe I'll do them soon and maybe not. If I can wear my hair up, half up and down without anyone noticing, that's good enough for me!

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by soleluna View Post
    just out of curiosity, how does everyone measure? what's the best tecnique?
    I've tried a few methods, in my opinion the easiest is to get a piece of ribbon, gather your hair and tie the ribbon around it. Slide the ribbon out of your hair - it should retain a circular shape. Measure the diameter of the circle, and multiply by 3.14. This should give you the circumference.

-- Natalie

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nat242 View Post
    I've tried a few methods, in my opinion the easiest is to get a piece of ribbon, gather your hair and tie the ribbon around it. Slide the ribbon out of your hair - it should retain a circular shape. Measure the diameter of the circle, and multiply by 3.14. This should give you the circumference.

-- Natalie
    Or, indeed, cut the ribbon circle and measure its length. Personally, I find measuring the diameter too imprecise where there's no marked centre of the circle.

ETA: I'm at 3.9", and hoping that I'll cross over into iii territory one day!

Length
    40+/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I use a soft measuring tape. Just like the ribbon method, but the numbers are already there! You just have to be careful about snagging your hair on it, but if you're careful it's not a problem. I put my fingernail on the spot where it reaches to (4.25 at the tightest in my case) and release.
    Lady Angellen, Bound Raven in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I am the Vampire Queen