Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: The Archived Forums - Now Available

Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aisling View Post
    I can be logged onto both, by using different browsers
    Yay, that works! How cool! Thanks aisling!

Iris
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    Yay, that works! How cool! Thanks aisling!

Iris
    I can log into both using the same browser but different tabs ^.^
    Pegs

Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Marsters View Post
    I can log into both using the same browser but different tabs ^.^
    Well yes, so can tresses, apparently, but in my version of firefox, I can't.

And it'll take more than this to get me to switch to explorer ;-P. (M$ would have to start making a version for mac os for a start... the last explorer version they have for mac is 5, last time I looked, - which has no tabs and is generally hopeless).

Iris
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

And it'll take more than this to get me to switch to explorer ;-P. (M$ would have to start making a version for mac os for a start... the last explorer version they have for mac is 5, last time I looked, - which has no tabs and is generally hopeless).

Iris
    I use Safari and Firefox.
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Iris
    I've always wanted a mac but they're just so bloody expensive.

I haven't tried to log into both since a month or so ago, I'll have to try later. (I hate Ie, so I guess I'll use Safari if I can;t open both but feel a need to have the archives open)
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Length
    1/42/Max
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Help getting re-oriented?

Hello, I just came back after a few months away (last visit was December 13th 2007) and apparently there was a major crash and loss of data in the interim. Kudos to the folks who got the archives restored!

That leaves me with some questions (sorry if this isn't the designated thread for this but I am a bit disoriented due to the changes):

1) Even though they no longer exist on the new forum, will my previous 53 posts count toward the total of 100? I hope so!

2) Can I get my title of "Long Hair Devotee" restored on the new forum, or do I have to earn it all over again?

3) Do we now have blogs AND journals, or have the journal threads been replaced with blogs now? It took some doing, but I was finally able to log into the archives forum and find my old journal... and I suppose I could copy and paste the old entries into the new interface to rebuild it here... if that's the best way.

4) Do blog posts count toward our total post count the way journal posts used to?

5) Is there still a private journal option (after 100 posts and sufficient time) or is that gone? And if we still have that option, does it work with blogs, or only with a journal thread like we had on the old forum? I really want to have the option of a private journal.

Thanks for any and all help in getting re-oriented here. I've missed this forum and look forward to participating enthusiastically once again. Off to wash my hair, will check back for replies.
    Last edited by Vanille; June 14th, 2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Added and edited questions
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Vanille View Post
    1) Even though they no longer exist on the new forum, will my previous 53 posts count toward the total of 100? I hope so!
    Yes.

2) Can I get my title of "Long Hair Devotee" restored on the new forum, or do I have to earn it all over again?
    I don't think we have those titles here anymore. But once you reach 1000 posts you can change your title at will.

3) Do we now have blogs AND journals, or have the journal threads been replaced with blogs now? It took some doing, but I was finally able to log into the archives forum and find my old journal... and I suppose I could copy and paste the old entries into the new interface to rebuild it here... if that's the best way.
    The blogs replace the old journals. They are a bit different, and may need some getting used to.
    Some of the main differences: you can add tags/labels to your blog entries, you can allow people to leave comments, you can write a blog description, which I think is a really good substitute for the common "intro" many members had in their first journal post.
    I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else right now.

4) Do blog posts count toward our total post count the way journal posts used to?
    No, they don't. They're separate.

5) Is there still a private journal option (after 100 posts and sufficient time) or is that gone? And if we still have that option, does it work with blogs, or only with a journal thread like we had on the old forum? I really want to have the option of a private journal.
    You have two options for your blog:
    1) public will allow anyone with 25+ posts to see it, and
    2) friends only will only allow your friends and contacts (I'm sure you'll have a lot of questions about those too , I think there is a thread here somewhere about that, though) to see your blog.
    You cannot, unfortunately, set some entries as public and some as friends only, you have to choose for your whole blog.

HTH!

PS: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And I hope it was ok to reply in this thread.

Length
    1/42/Max
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the helpful answers!

I found my blog setup controls and have created a blog with a few categories, etc. It's a nicer option than the old journal thread, overall, especially with the categories feature. Nice enhancement!

Overall I am impressed with the improvements in the forum. I still haven't looked around the topics much yet, but hope to do that later today.

I've now restored my profile and everything seems to be up and running again. It's nice to be back!
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Welcome back, Vanille! I'm glad you're enjoying the new blog features. I really love that aspect of the upgrade. One more thing... Could you please translate the Latin in your sig? (You can either put the translation next to the Latin, or make the phrase a hyperlink to a page containing the translation.) Thanks!

Once you get to 1000 posts and 1 year's membership, you can choose a custom title. Options abound, including Latin. [ETA: Just Isabel, you were super informative. This is the only piece of information missing (the 1 year requirement); everything else was spot on. Thanks!]

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    [ETA: Just Isabel, you were super informative. This is the only piece of information missing (the 1 year requirement); everything else was spot on. Thanks!]
    Ah, I must have forgotten it because I already have the time, I just need to get enough posts - I tend to forget things that don't apply to me. Sorry about that.

I'm glad I could help.