Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combing hair trouble

Length
    1.6/29.50/32.5
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Combing hair trouble

Yeah, I will try this right the way, i`m getting myself a shower right now . Thank You !

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

You are combing starting from the ends up, right, and not "pulling" through any tangles you find but carefully picking them apart, right?

I too would wonder if the brush needs a cleaning, and I think that the harsh oil-control shampoos are stripping your scalp dry, encouraging it to over-produce sebum.

You might want to try a very weak dilution of apple cider vinegar (about a capful) in a bottle of water (same amount of water as you'd get for a bottled beverage) as a rinse after you shampoo. The acid in the vinegar will help to restore the pH of your scalp, so that it's less dry, so that you have less of an oily scalp problem. Distilled white vinegar will work for this as well.

Be careful with the amount of vinegar, too much vinegar can make the hair looks stringy and greasy, but I've found that a weak dilution makes my hair very shiny. .

Hope that helps.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I do not like combing *in* the shower, because of hair going (or not going) down the drain, and making a problem in the shower drain. I prefer to comb/brush thoroughly *before* getting in the shower.

Very gentle wash with very dilute shampoo, rinse very well.

I find if I shampoo frequently my hair gets greasy faster. Also if I use strong shampoo. It seems backwards to use weaker/dilute shampoo for greasier hair, but that's what works best for me.

Length
    1.6/29.50/32.5
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fiferstone View Post
    You are combing starting from the ends up, right, and not "pulling" through any tangles you find but carefully picking them apart, right?

I too would wonder if the brush needs a cleaning, and I think that the harsh oil-control shampoos are stripping your scalp dry, encouraging it to over-produce sebum.

You might want to try a very weak dilution of apple cider vinegar (about a capful) in a bottle of water (same amount of water as you'd get for a bottled beverage) as a rinse after you shampoo. The acid in the vinegar will help to restore the pH of your scalp, so that it's less dry, so that you have less of an oily scalp problem. Distilled white vinegar will work for this as well.

Be careful with the amount of vinegar, too much vinegar can make the hair looks stringy and greasy, but I've found that a weak dilution makes my hair very shiny. .

Hope that helps.
    I will try out the vinegar solution, it sounds like just the thing i need.
    Thank you !

Length
    1.6/29.50/32.5
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    I do not like combing *in* the shower, because of hair going (or not going) down the drain, and making a problem in the shower drain. I prefer to comb/brush thoroughly *before* getting in the shower.

Very gentle wash with very dilute shampoo, rinse very well.

I find if I shampoo frequently my hair gets greasy faster. Also if I use strong shampoo. It seems backwards to use weaker/dilute shampoo for greasier hair, but that's what works best for me.
    I don`t know if the shampoo i use are quite doing the thing that they say on the label. They`re pretty cheap, heavy advertised shampoo like wash&go Pantene etc, these are the only ones i can find around here, oh and other ones cheaper but those really don`t do a thing. About combing, after a bit of a read i found what i think is the root of my problem :

Me not shampooing right. When i wash my hair, i put like some shampoo in my palm and massage the scalp with it for a minute, then i rinse it with water, afterward i put shampoo again in my palm and here comes the problem, i put all my hair on top of the head and just saturate it with the shampoo until it`s all covered with shampoo, i let it for half a minute, then rinse all of it with water. Then the second bad thing i do, is get out of the shower, get a towel, and rub my head with it. I should not do this in the future, and maybe my ends wont tangle that much, and the hair won`t look so bad after combing. Also i`ll try out conditioning it, i`ll read about doing this and give it a try. Wish me luck ! And thank you for the tips !
    Last edited by Bller; June 19th, 2010 at 11:16 AM.

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Hey Bller:

DILUTE the shampoo before putting it on your head. SpiderMom has found that diluting the shampoo has two benefits: 1. It lasts longer and 2. It cuts down on the aggressiveness of the cleaning (less stripping of your scalp, again).

and STOP piling your hair on your head while shampooing! STOP RIGHT NOW.

Torrin Page gives a great tutorial on how to wash your hair the right way:

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpa...34/zzEjdmXaUUU

Definitely watch her videos, she's very knowledgeable. She also speaks very clearly, which I think is helpful if English is a second language.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I find that combing my hair with any comb, even a seamless wide-tooth comb, causes breakage.

No combing for me ever.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Length
    18"/28"/31"
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Are you conditioning after you shampoo? I find that when I shampoo only with a less-than-gentle shampoo, my hair gets that weird sort-of-greasy, sort-of-dry and tangly feel. Applying conditioner from the ears down makes hair feel less greasy and gives it slip.

Length
    1.6/29.50/32.5
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Are you conditioning after you shampoo? I find that when I shampoo only with a less-than-gentle shampoo, my hair gets that weird sort-of-greasy, sort-of-dry and tangly feel. Applying conditioner from the ears down makes hair feel less greasy and gives it slip.
    That`s exactly the feel i get too. And no i never used conditioner only for my ends, i tried 2 in 1 conditioner + shampoo product once, and stopped right away after reading some thing here. And getting a separate conditioner i didn`t. I`ll have to go buy one ASAP. I`ll try out the ears down tip and i`ll let you know the effects, wish me luck and thank you for the tip !

Length
    1.6/29.50/32.5
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane53 View Post
    I find that combing my hair with any comb, even a seamless wide-tooth comb, causes breakage.

No combing for me ever.
    I generally use plastic combs which i know are bad, but never get the time to get myself a wooden wide tooth comb. I`ll have to stop by the supermarket and look for one.