Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shea butter: two kinds

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Question Shea butter: two kinds

Did you know there are two kinds of shea butter derived from two different varieties of the tree? Apparently the eastern kind (Vitellaria nilotica) is produced only in Uganda and Sudan and is softer, melts at a lower temperature, has a higher absorbtion rate and smells less strongly than the western kind (Vitellaria Paradoxa), that is produced in Ghana among others.

Did any of you try both varieties, and did you experience the claimed superiority of eastern shea butter?

(I did not find a thread about this, but if there is one already, please let me know )
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Shea butter: two kinds

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    Did you know there are two kinds of shea butter derived from two different varieties of the tree? Apparently the eastern kind (Vitellaria nilotica) is produced only in Uganda and Sudan and is softer, melts at a lower temperature, has a higher absorbtion rate and smells less strongly than the western kind (Vitellaria Paradoxa), that is produced in Ghana among others.

Did any of you try both varieties, and did you experience the claimed superiority of eastern shea butter?

(I did not find a thread about this, but if there is one already, please let me know )
    I've tried both and I prefer the shea nilotica. It smells like vanilla (although I'm quite sure this is because it's been macerated with vanilla) and is softer than the western kind. The main difference between the two seems to be the higher content of oleic acid and lower content of stearic acid in the nilotica.
    The nilotica is lighter on my skin and feels less waxy than the western shea. I like both kinds, but for different reasons.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thank you Gulbahar! I just ordered some shea nilotica to use both on skin and hair. I have never tried pure shea before, so that was perhaps a good choice.

I read the shea paradoxa contains more vitamin A and is better if you want to use it on scars. Perhaps this variety is also better for protecting skin (and hair?) during winter?
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    Thank you Gulbahar! I just ordered some shea nilotica to use both on skin and hair. I have never tried pure shea before, so that was perhaps a good choice.

I read the shea paradoxa contains more vitamin A and is better if you want to use it on scars. Perhaps this variety is also better for protecting skin (and hair?) during winter?
    The western shea contains more vitamin E than the nilotica. I don't know about vitamin A. For protection I definitely find the western kind much better because it leaves more of a film on my skin. Generally speaking the western type is my winter shea and the nilotica is my summer shea.
    Last edited by Gulbahar; June 12th, 2010 at 05:47 AM.

I would love to hear from all of you the brands of shea butter you purchase. I've only tried one brand and it doesn't state what kind of shea butter they use.

Thanks!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post
    I would love to hear from all of you the brands of shea butter you purchase. I've only tried one brand and it doesn't state what kind of shea butter they use.

Thanks!
    I don't buy "brands", I just buy the raw material because I make my own (and my mother's) cosmetics and soaps.
    If your brand doesn't state the exact kind it most certainly is the western shea - the nilotica is more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulbahar View Post
    I don't buy "brands", I just buy the raw material because I make my own (and my mother's) cosmetics and soaps.
    If your brand doesn't state the exact kind it most certainly is the western shea - the nilotica is more expensive.
    What is your source for buying the raw shea butter? I guess I worded my inquiry incorrectly. I was wondering where people purchased their unrefined shea butter. I wasn't looking for a brand so much as a source.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post
    What is your source for buying the raw shea butter? I guess I worded my inquiry incorrectly. I was wondering where people purchased their unrefined shea butter. I wasn't looking for a brand so much as a source.
    I think Garden of Wisdom would be a good place to buy both kinds of shea. But as I live in Europe I obviously use other shops and don't know much about the US sellers. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Length
    Short/27,4/TB:)
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I am going to try this shea thingy, and I will be ordering from Coastals scents!
    They are using Fair Trade shea, so I want to support that.

I have ordered micas and brushes from there, and I am super happy with them.
    And they ship quick too, it only take a wheek and a half to get my stuff shipped to Norway

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ButterCream View Post
    I am going to try this shea thingy, and I will be ordering from Coastals scents!
    They are using Fair Trade shea, so I want to support that.
    Fair Trade is definitely a good thing, but Coastal scents has only the western variant.