Thread: Moldy Coconut Oil

Length
    14in/16in/APL

Default Moldy Coconut Oil

I buy a huge tub of coconut oil and put some in small canning jars, which I keep in the nursery & my bathroom. I noticed tonight that both small jars have mold growing in them and on the coconut oil (it is hot here and liquid). I have never had this happen before, but both of my small jars of coconut oil are ruined.

How can I prevent this from happening again? Any advice/tips?

Length
    ?/34 in/36 in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Moldy Coconut Oil

I've had coconut oil go bad before. I started keeping mine in the fridge when I'm not using it.
    also I put a tiny bit in a very small container that I keep out and mix in a few drops of lavender essential oil and that seems to help preserve it.

Length
    pixie/pixie/??

My large plastic jar had directions to store in the fridge after opeining. I do just to be on the safe side, but dealing with it solid is kind of a pain.

There is a difference between oil going rancid and it molding.

To prevent it from going rancid you should add rosemary extract, GSE, or Tocopherol (Vitamin E) to it. Essential oils at best would just mask the rancid smell, but they can't prevent rancidity or mold growth.

If your coconut oil grew mold....water had to have been exposed to it at some time. Oil + bathroom probably isn't a good idea because you almost can't help but get SOME water in it. Even if it's a drop. There is nothing you can do about that except use dry hands when dealing with the coconut oil (because I'm sure you wouldn't want to have to purchase a real preservative like Optiphen online).

HIH