Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why my coconut oil is liquid all the time?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Why my coconut oil is liquid all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Definitely try the fridge. My oil goes liquid about the same time we stop needing to heat the house during the day (April, I think). It'll be liquid until something like October.

Don't worry that it's gone bad unless it starts to smell funny. (I once had a bottle of Parachute coconut oil that started to smell like bacon. I still haven't figured that one out.)
    My oil is actually the Parachute one. Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusBride View Post
    Mine has been slightly liquid (a little bit of the top liquefies, but the entire container never has) since summer started.
    Have you been microwaving yours, by change? The way you say "It used to turn solid after using it" makes me think it was liquid when you used it, which makes me think you microwaved it. Sorry if I came to the wrong conclusion. But if you did microwave it, repeatedly, I would not be surprised if the chemical composition changed or something. I'm TOTALLY not science oriented, but I know if you heat some things too much or at too high a temperature (chocolate!) you changed it somehow and it can't return to the original state.
    No. To make it liquid, I just put it into a wash basin with warm water. But I think the effect is the same. I made the whole bottle liqiud few times. Next time I will buy coconut oil in a jar. It will be easier to use it, I will be able to take the accurate amount on my fingers instead of warming up the whole bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    Henrietta - blonde at heart? Itīs been awfully hot and humid here as well. I hope the heat helps to dry up your flood a bit sooner!

And thanks for reminding me to use my coconut oil more often now thatīs it is liquid all the time naturally!
    If you mean the thing that my dad is keep telling me, that blonde is not a haircolour, it's a way your brain/heart works- yes. Totally

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Melted coconut oil, first sign of summer Solid coconut oil is the first sign of winter

I keep my bigger jar in the fridge... or a cool cabinet in the kitchen (where it is right now actually), and move some into a smaller container for daily use.

Length
    17/20/25
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I didn't want to create yet another thread about coconut oil so I guess I'll hijack this one Every coconut oil sold here is liquid all the time. They never solidify, even in the fridge. I really want to try coconut oil so I wonder if there's a difference between the two types...?

Sorry for the hijack
    Growing out 5 years' worth of henna
    Shoulder Length --> Armpit Length --> Bra-strap Lenght Wurly --> Midback Abyss

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Domino, check this thread out.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I didn't want to create yet another thread about coconut oil so I guess I'll hijack this one Every coconut oil sold here is liquid all the time. They never solidify, even in the fridge. I really want to try coconut oil so I wonder if there's a difference between the two types...?

Sorry for the hijack
    Been there done that I posted a thread about this "always liquid" coconut oil and people said what we have here is probably coconut oil in refined and processed form. That's probably because people here use coconut oil for aromatherapy & massage and not for eating. When you'll do massage, you'd want a liquid oil to make it easier to use and wash out

But that kind of oil might not have all the benefits of non-processed solid type. It surely wouldn't hurt to use liquid oil till we find the solid one

ETA: Madame J, thanks a lot for the link!

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    17/20/25
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Madame J, thanks so much for the link! That explains it...now if only I could find some solid coconut oil around here...

Dreams_in_Pink, I knew you'd chime in and you're very helpful as always I want to try that liquid coconut oil now to see if it's any good

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Madame J, thanks so much for the link! That explains it...now if only I could find some solid coconut oil around here...

Dreams_in_Pink, I knew you'd chime in and you're very helpful as always I want to try that liquid coconut oil now to see if it's any good

Assuming you are referring to Fractionated coconut oil I use it as a massage oil with some EOs for a scalp treatment. The advantage of the Fractionated Coconut oil is that it will be absorbed into your scalp rather quickly which would be nice if you will be sleeping with it; other types of coconut oil has a better effect on the hair itself.

Some additional advantages:
    # 1. Liquid down to very low temperatures.
    # 2. Because its has no double bonds, there are no sites for oxidation and thus never goes rancid. The oil has essentially an infinite shelf life.
    # 3. Because its consists completely of saturated fatty acid side chains its more like animal fat and absorbs more readily into the skin making it ideal for massage therapy.
    # 4. Washes out of your massage table sheets very easily with no staining.
    # 5. An ideal product for natural perfumers who don't want to use alcohol as a carrier. Because its the lightest of all the carrier oils, it will spray through a pump sprayer with ease. This is also makes it handy for massage therapists as they can spray their massage blends using FC right on the customer.
    # 6. Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth without that greasy feeling.
    # 7. Cost effective,one of least expensive carrier oils.
    # 8. Completely soluble with all essential oils and compatible with soaps.

Length
    17/20/25
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    Assuming you are referring to Fractionated coconut oil I use it as a massage oil with some EOs for a scalp treatment. The advantage of the Fractionated Coconut oil is that it will be absorbed into your scalp rather quickly which would be nice if you will be sleeping with it; other types of coconut oil has a better effect on the hair itself.

Some additional advantages:
    # 1. Liquid down to very low temperatures.
    # 2. Because its has no double bonds, there are no sites for oxidation and thus never goes rancid. The oil has essentially an infinite shelf life.
    # 3. Because its consists completely of saturated fatty acid side chains its more like animal fat and absorbs more readily into the skin making it ideal for massage therapy.
    # 4. Washes out of your massage table sheets very easily with no staining.
    # 5. An ideal product for natural perfumers who don't want to use alcohol as a carrier. Because its the lightest of all the carrier oils, it will spray through a pump sprayer with ease. This is also makes it handy for massage therapists as they can spray their massage blends using FC right on the customer.
    # 6. Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth without that greasy feeling.
    # 7. Cost effective,one of least expensive carrier oils.
    # 8. Completely soluble with all essential oils and compatible with soaps.
    Wow that looks like a good thing! Do you think I can use it for the hair like many people here do?