Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why my coconut oil is liquid all the time?

tangle teezer evangelist freckles's Avatar
    Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Why my coconut oil is liquid all the time?

it's probably just the changing weather now that we're going into summer -- it's a bit warmer than it was, and that 'bit warmer' is all coconut oil needs mine used to be very very solid, and for the past couple of months it's mushy/liquidy on the top.

eta: okay, I didn't get in there quick enough but I agree with everyone else.
    don't know whether your hair is brown or red? us neither!
    hit my length goal of tailbone ... now learning to maintain and aiming to reduce split ends!

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Yep, it the change to warmer weather. My coconut oil stays solid nearly all the time because my house doesn't get very warm. If the oil starts to melt, then I know it's really a hot day here.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Thank you guys Now I am not afraid anymore that my oil is too old or something

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Definitely try the fridge. My oil goes liquid about the same time we stop needing to heat the house during the day (April, I think). It'll be liquid until something like October.

Don't worry that it's gone bad unless it starts to smell funny. (I once had a bottle of Parachute coconut oil that started to smell like bacon. I still haven't figured that one out.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

TrudieCat

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Definitely try the fridge. My oil goes liquid about the same time we stop needing to heat the house during the day (April, I think). It'll be liquid until something like October.

Don't worry that it's gone bad unless it starts to smell funny. (I once had a bottle of Parachute coconut oil that started to smell like bacon. I still haven't figured that one out.)
    Good info - thanks! I'm reading this thread with interest because the care and keeping of coconut oil is still new to me. So, do you keep your oil in the fridge once it starts going melt-y? Or, like other oils, can it stay good for a while as long as it's stored in a cool-ish dark place, even if it is not solid?

Or, to put it another way, exactly how long was your coconut oil melt-y before it got bacon-y? Heh heh, that just sounds weird, but you get the idea...

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TrudieCat View Post
    Good info - thanks! I'm reading this thread with interest because the care and keeping of coconut oil is still new to me. So, do you keep your oil in the fridge once it starts going melt-y? Or, like other oils, can it stay good for a while as long as it's stored in a cool-ish dark place, even if it is not solid?

Or, to put it another way, exactly how long was your coconut oil melt-y before it got bacon-y? Heh heh, that just sounds weird, but you get the idea...

I do not recommend this but I have had coconut oil for as much as 3 years without it going rancid. I usually don't turn my AC on unless it is over 85 F. inside so it stayed good even with major temp. changes.

TrudieCat

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    I do not recommend this but I have had coconut oil for as much as 3 years without it going rancid. I usually don't turn my AC on unless it is over 85 F. inside so it stayed good even with major temp. changes.
    Thank you!! The truth is that keeping oil around for 3 years + is kinda my style (I mean, you can't just throw it away if it's still possibly maybe still good, right??), but I won't ever say I got the idea from you....

Length
    24"/30"/45"
    Type
    1b/F/i

Mine has been slightly liquid (a little bit of the top liquefies, but the entire container never has) since summer started.
    Have you been microwaving yours, by change? The way you say "It used to turn solid after using it" makes me think it was liquid when you used it, which makes me think you microwaved it. Sorry if I came to the wrong conclusion. But if you did microwave it, repeatedly, I would not be surprised if the chemical composition changed or something. I'm TOTALLY not science oriented, but I know if you heat some things too much or at too high a temperature (chocolate!) you changed it somehow and it can't return to the original state.

Account Closed by Member Request

Henrietta - blonde at heart? It´s been awfully hot and humid here as well. I hope the heat helps to dry up your flood a bit sooner!

And thanks for reminding me to use my coconut oil more often now that´s it is liquid all the time naturally!

Length
    14/37/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I haven't used my coconut oil for a few weeks and then last week I thought I might encourage dd13 to start using oil on her hair. I decided on coconut oil "because it is solid and she'll make less of a mess."
    I didn't think that it's got a lot warmer here since the last time I used it. I opened the pot on the move without really looking at what I was doing and suddenly there was coconut oil everywhere.

I've decided to start dd on murmuru butter instead