Thread: Not enough shampoo?

Default Not enough shampoo?

My fiance, recently, has had a problem with what she thought was dandruff, but I guess it isn't.

We went back to Iowa this weekend to finalize wedding plans and see her family. Saturday, her mom tells her she needs to get ready for the hair dresser. I freaked. I knew her mom was going to get a trim, but not her. I know she wanted to look good for her wedding shower and get a trim a few months before the wedding so it doesn't look freshly cut, so I dealt with it.

She came back with about a 1/4'-1/2" trim and small, beautiful highlights throughout. I knew she wants to have her hair as long as possible for the wedding, but I also know how hair dressers are!

Anyway, she says, "Nick, remember how I thought I had a bunch of dry skin? The hairdresser said it's because I am not washing out the old shampoo."

I guess it was building up on her roots? She has been double washing since Saturday but not sure if it helps. I know her hair has been tangled afterwards, though. More than usual. Her hair is 2b naturally but usually combs it out after it dries and it stays 1b.

Guess I should read up on the shampoo threads!

Length
    30/50/50
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Not enough shampoo?

If old shampoo is getting stuck in her hair, I'm not sure that more washing will help.

I would try washing with baking soda mixed with water, letting it rinse for longer than normal and massaging her scalp gently.

Condition just the length, not the scalp, to avoid tangles.

I'm sure others will have more ideas, but this is something to start with...

I do have a lot of trouble with dry scalp/flakes. I'm currently washing with baking soda once a week and with Neutragena T-gel once a week (my scalp loves that stuff). I'm also experimenting with scalp massage, oiling, and Monistat on the scalp. Just started those things, though, so I don't know yet if they are working.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

She could save an empty shampoo or conditioner bottle (or buy a squirt bottle) and mix her shampoo with warm water, shake, then squirt all over the scalp. She'll get better spread with this solution, and it will be easier to rinse out. I've been doing this for four years now, and it's much kinder to my hair, which used to dry out and now doesn't. (using oil probably factors into this, too)

Awesome, thanks ladies! I'll mention it to her and see if she wants to try it.

Edit: I don't think she will turn down a scalp massage!

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    She could save an empty shampoo or conditioner bottle (or buy a squirt bottle) and mix her shampoo with warm water, shake, then squirt all over the scalp. She'll get better spread with this solution, and it will be easier to rinse out. I've been doing this for four years now, and it's much kinder to my hair, which used to dry out and now doesn't. (using oil probably factors into this, too)
    I like diluting shampoo as well. I don't think I use less product than I would otherwise, but I think it does a better job getting all over and rinsing out. I just use an old yogurt container for diluting each wash.