Thread: Too much protein: How to make hair soft again??

Length
    Short/27,4/TB:)
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Unhappy Too much protein: How to make hair soft again??

As you can se of the headline I think my hair don`t want any more protein at the moment. I S&D regularly and I don`t have much split ends anymore (yay)
    BUT, it feels a bit..stiff and brittle kind of? Not that it breaks (well, I hope not!) but it feels like kind of like it is velcro ends.

And BELIEVE me I have been sitting with my scissors ready to snip of any split ends, but really, I can`t find many at all anymore! (And again, yay!)

So after reading how too much protein in hair can make the hair behave I actually think that is what have happened to me!

Anyone who can share what I can do to make my hair smooth and soft again? I have made a mixture with honey aloe vera and almond oil etc, from a recipe in here, and had it in overnight, but it didn`t get any better.

What to do? Anyone can help?

Thanks in advance!

Ps. I use CO method, and uses a conditioner without any proteins, parabens, color or perfume, just to inform.
    I use the same conditioner to wash AND condition. I can`t find a conditioner with just moisture and without proteins OR cones

Halp...
    chocolate to those who can help...
    Last edited by ButterCream; June 8th, 2010 at 07:09 AM.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Too much proteines: How to make hair soft again??

There is an article on the boards at the top of the page under the hair care articles, and it talks about how to fix protein overload. I think I remember it saying that you need plenty of moisture on your hairto fix that. That step is recommended AFTER clarifying to see how your hair is really behaving under any buildup that might be on it.

So, step 1) read that article! I could be forgetting some essential things!
    2) clarify
    3) access your hair's condition
    4) if you still think it's protein overload, try adding moisture to it. One treatment might not be enough.

Did I earn my chocolate??

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

The deep treatment likely didn't work, because first you need to remove the buildup.

When my hair has protein overload, first I clarify it. To clarify your hair of buildup, use a clarifying shampoo, or a regular SLS shampoo, but make sure you lather right down to the ends. Your hair will need a lot of moisture after that, so I use a deep moisture treatment. Usually, I use an SMT. Here is the link to the thread with the SMT recipe. For me, this works every time.

Good luck!
    Last edited by FrannyG; June 8th, 2010 at 07:31 AM.

Length
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by countryhopper View Post
    There is an article on the boards at the top of the page under the hair care articles, and it talks about how to fix protein overload. I think I remember it saying that you need plenty of moisture on your hairto fix that. That step is recommended AFTER clarifying to see how your hair is really behaving under any buildup that might be on it.

So, step 1) read that article! I could be forgetting some essential things!
    2) clarify
    3) access your hair's condition
    4) if you still think it's protein overload, try adding moisture to it. One treatment might not be enough.

Did I earn my chocolate??
    Thank you, really helpfull!!
    And yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, you have indidio earned your chocolate!!!!!!
    Here, have some more!

*runs off to find article* lol

Length
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FrannyG View Post
    The deep treatment likely didn't work, because first you need to remove the buildup.

When my hair has protein overload, first I clarify it. To clarify your hair of buildup, use a clarifying shampoo, or a regular SLS shampoo, but make sure you lather right down to the ends. Your hair will need a lot of moisture after that, so I use a deep moisture treatment. Usually, I use an SMT. Here is the link to the thread with the SMT recipe. For me, this works every time.

Good luck!
    *Slaps forhead* of course, lol, that is why the deep treatment didn`t work. Good to know, then I am even more convinced that it really is protein build up i have, thanks!

And thanks for the advices, I will read up on it and also have to go and buy a sls shampoo, havent used THAT in a while, lol

Thanks you guys! Haven`t experienced it myself before, lol

Here, have more chocolate!
    There is more where that comes from!

Length
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Too much protein: How to make hair soft again??

I have been washing my hair with shampoo with sls (no cone) and the proteinbuild up is starting to fade, yay!!
    My hair is starting to feel soft and easy to brush again
    I smt`d after every wash, so the strong shampoo didn`t seem to do too much damage luckily!

Have also rinced well in vinegar after rinsing the conditioner out, and o. dear.how.shiny.it.is.now!

I used regular 7% vinegar because it smelled less and wanted to see if it worked, and it did! Actually having used apple cider vinegar before, wich also was great but made my hair smell afterwards no matter how LONG I rinsed it out, this type of vinegar gave an awesome result and no smell! And my hair feels so great and soft!!

So thanks so much for the help you guys who replied to my problem