Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sesame oil darker hair

Default sesame oil darker hair

i've read that sesame oil is said to darken hair, has anyone experienced this? I also read it penetrates deep into the scalp, does that mean that the new growth is also affected when regularly used?
    I also read that eating black sesame seeds has an impact on the hair pigmentation, Does anyone know this?

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default Re: sesame oil darker hair

I'm not sure but if it does I'm going to load up on sesame seeds! I really want to maintain my dark brown hair over the summer.

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

well since I've been hearing that coconut oil takes away color I may have to try this! where do you buy sesame oil?

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Lenniemi View Post
    i've read that sesame oil is said to darken hair, has anyone experienced this? I also read it penetrates deep into the scalp, does that mean that the new growth is also affected when regularly used?
    I also read that eating black sesame seeds has an impact on the hair pigmentation, Does anyone know this?
    This may help, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...77&postcount=8

Coconut oil on its own (straight) has not been reported to lighten hair. It can, in a honey lightening mix help lighten but used in a mix.

Length
    25 cm/53 cm/70-80
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

The black sesame is darken hair but not with the white sesame oil (is more habitual and more cheap), in Ayurveda the sesame oil is one of the most popular for hair. I use white sesame oil and I love it, the problem is the strong smell, I buy vainille sesame oil and it smell good

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I use sesame on my hair (though not on my scalp). My hair seems to be slightly darker than it was when I was young, but I'm inclined to attribute any change to age-related hair color changes rather than to the oil. I don't actually know the type of sesame seeds used for the oil off-hand, though the non-toasted variety doesn't smell as strongly!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I use sesame on my hair (though not on my scalp). My hair seems to be slightly darker than it was when I was young, but I'm inclined to attribute any change to age-related hair color changes rather than to the oil. I don't actually know the type of sesame seeds used for the oil off-hand, though the non-toasted variety doesn't smell as strongly!
    It penetrates the skin and scalp so I suppose you have to use it on the scalp to affect new growth.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

It can not effect the color of your new growth, it will not penetrate your scalp deep enough to reach your derma papilla. And eating black sesame seeds can not have any impact either.
    I have heard though that you can subtly darken your lengths with it and it is supposed to be a really soft, pretty darkening.

why do you think eating it can not effect hair coloring. And I"ve heard some oils could reach derma papilla, but not sesame oil?

Length
    20/33.5/Tb
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

why do you think eating it can not effect hair coloring. And I"ve heard some oils could reach derma papilla, but not sesame oil?
    I would say because hair colour is determined by genetics, and consuming it would not have any bearing on the genetics of the hair cells that grow from the scalp.