Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut oil and hair color

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default coconut oil and hair color

Does anyone know if coconut oil affects chemically treated hair color? I saw a comment from a member recently about how it takes out the color and was just wondering what others thoughts were. I've been using it at least once a week as a leave in over night and did notice my color to be fading, but it could just be that I haven't colored my hair in months. I couldn't really find anything online about it so hopefully some of you might know.

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: coconut oil and hair color

I'm afraid it does. I used to dye my hair red both demi and permanent, and once I oiled with coconut oil and it faded so quickly.

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

well that is disappointing to hear... I guess I will have to just use conditioner from now on. I wonder if any other oils are safe for color

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

EEK! Another scary oil detail!
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

It has not been reported to lighten hair colour used straight on its own. It can used for example in a honey lightening mix. Conventional hair colour can fade for a number of reasons, depending on the colour used and one's routine.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I use it & haven't noticed...well, not entirely. I can't say if it's from the coconut oil or not since I used a semi permanent a month ago, so it's most likely just washing out as it is.
    But I don't think i'd mind if it did since I'm trying to get from light brown to allow it to fade into my natural medium blonde hair.

I'll keep using it anyway, but if I notice anything the next time i do it, i'll let you know

Length
    pixie/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I'm wondering about this too, I've read several things online that say coconut oil does *not* fade hair color, but I know some of the members here say in their experiance it does....

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

They say it doesn't affect colour, but my red had great staying power for two years until I started using coconut oil and it immediately faded. I don't think it's just a coincidence.

It's just something you have to try on your own.

mermaid in training

Length
    pixie/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I'm running a small test on my hair, I had it colored a week ago and I'm going to use coconut oil only on one chunk by my left ear and see if in four to five more weeks it is more faded than the rest of my hair or not..... we'll see what happens!

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Coconut oil fades hair dye. That's why I haven't been applying it anywhere near my recently dyed blonde!
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.