Thread: Calling all redheads/auburn beauties!

Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Default Calling all redheads/auburn beauties!

Red and auburn are such beautiful colours aren't they? I'm getting my hair coloured to a dark auburn soon (I've done a lot of thinking and I desperately need a change at this time in my life after having black hair for 5 years, I'm just sick and tired of it). My roots (about a year's worth of new growth, virgin hair) are lighter than my dyed black ends, they are a darker shade of brown with some red undertone to them. I also get trims when I need them, but after this colour gets done I'm going to try not trimming for at least a year. It's known that red and auburn is a difficult colour to maintain, and I'd like to know what routine, methods or tips any of you with these hair colours have to help keep it look nice, bright and vibrant.

My routine currently consists of CO washing every 3 or 4 days, a drop of extra virgin olive oil on my ends only after my shower. Also, a deep treatment of the oil right the day before my shower. I'm still experimenting with my routine, but it's working for me so far.

I'm also getting permanent hair dye. My mother has actually used henna on my hair when I was really young, but I was ignorant as to what it did to my hair, and I don't even remember the effects.

I'm trying to do as much as I can beforehand so I'd really appreciate it!
    Last edited by thriftesfai; May 30th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
    All change is not progress, as all movement is not forward.

Default Re: Calling all redheads/auburn beauties!

I have natural red streaks here and there, and I do indeed henna my hair these days.
    I CWC weekly and henna monthly, only henna, nothing else really. Red is my favorite hair color, and to me, henna is the best way to maintain it. But there are many other ways to look in to! Hope some knowledgeable people come along and share the tips.
    Last edited by JenniferNoel; May 30th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Yep, henna rules-- if you're positive that you want red for a very long time!

It gives the perfect red, lasts forever, and actually improves and protects the hair's condition rather than damaging it!

of course I agree with looking into henna it takes your natural color and makes it red, so it's unique and not just a red from a bottle. it also doesn't fade like chemicals dyes do. plus the added bonus of the shine and strength it gives to your hair instead of damaging it with the box dyes.

that said, if your hair is dark brown it might be hard to get a real red with henna. take a look at hennaforhair.com and the mixes page for info.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

May I ask how you plan to achieve this auburn color ? Henna, permanent dye, etc........ What are you going to use to lift your darker color before applying the auburn shade ? The answers to those questions will determine what advice can be given

Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    May I ask how you plan to achieve this auburn color ? Henna, permanent dye, etc........ What are you going to use to lift your darker color before applying the auburn shade ? The answers to those questions will determine what advice can be given
    Sure! I'm going to a hair salon to get permanent hair dye done. I assume they are going to bleach whatever needs to be bleached and I'd rather have professionals, I do not trust my abilities to do this right LOL. I have gotten my hair bleached before and I know what my hair likes in terms of restoring moisture if it needs it, but my hair handles it pretty well. I haven't done bleaching in years though.
    All change is not progress, as all movement is not forward.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

My suggestion would be to use a conditioner made specifically for color treated hair so you don't have to worry about any premature fading of your color. Reds typically have to be refreshed much more often, so minimizing the fading will help.
    Good luck ! I had coppery red hair for five years, but I only used a Demi color.