Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a dyeing illiterate!

Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Help a dyeing illiterate!

A purple streak! That's what I want.
    I've wanted it since I was 14 but never got around doing it. Now I'm almost graduating college, so I must do it before I get a job.

The only time I tried to change my hair's color, I wanted to have red ends. I went to the salon and they spent a few hours trying to bleach my black hair. While I wanted a vibrant red, light brown is all that came out because my hair wouldn't bleach. So a few months later I tried in another salon, this time my ends bleached better, but the red wasnt that visible either.

So yeah. Help me.
    What are the best purple dyes? What would be the best bleach for my unbleachable black hair? What method should I follow? Should I do it myself or go the salon? How can I keep it purple and vibrant?

Tell me all you can. I have no idea how to make this right

Type
    1c/F/i

Default Re: Help a dyeing illiterate!

Maybe Manic Panic Flash Lightning kit with one of their purple shades. I think it's kindof a harsh bleach, but it helps the purple show up better. If you're just doing one streak, it might not be so bad with the bleach for damage.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I was going to suggest Manic Panic too.

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

if you can't get the color you want from bleach or coloring then you can always go the route I went, I went to my local wig shop and bought some colored hair, sewed it onto a clip and then have color anytime I want. there is no damage that way and it's not permanent which is always nice... heres a pic of the red in my hair

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii/iii

Manic Panic was my only choice at first, but then I saw Dementia's beautiful purple mane, which she said was dyed with Special Effects, so I was wondering which one was better, lasted longer, etc.

Angeletti, I had thought about that too and have searched all over the internet, but there are no purple clip-ons as curly as my hair

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleAshes View Post
    Manic Panic was my only choice at first, but then I saw Dementia's beautiful purple mane, which she said was dyed with Special Effects, so I was wondering which one was better, lasted longer, etc.

Angeletti, I had thought about that too and have searched all over the internet, but there are no purple clip-ons as curly as my hair
    If you get a 100% human hair purple clip in you can curl it with a curling iron to match your natural texture or set it on some rollers overnight while it dries then just scrunch with gel and you're good to go.

Otherwise, I highly recommend Special Effects for purple. Also Wella Wellite bleach powder and clairol pure white 20 vol. developer from Sally's. Don't get bleach kits that already come together, they tend to be weaker result wise and harsher on your hair. No need for over 20 volume developer if you just want some purple unless your hair is colored very dark.
    Last edited by kwaniesiam; May 28th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

In my salon we use Special Effects. The purple looks amazing at first, but fades quickly. And then it can be difficult to color the area back to a natural shade because of the severe bleaching process. Sonetimes the hsir diesnt hold color very well afterwards. Be careful !

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I had purple hair for about 6 months. I'd go with MP Flash Lightning, and follow with RAW deep purple for 45 minutes to and hour. At first, it will be very very dark. But, it lasted about three weeks on my hair when I washed with sulfates. It brightens up into an amazing purple. Good luck
    October 2011!
    Usually, I own everything. But sometimes, a tank comes out of nowhere.

Auburn California and where'er the horses take me
    Length
    14"/45"/51"
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I'll third the Manic Panic Flash Lightening for bleaching, since you'll have to bleach to get the purple to show up on black hair. I use Pravana Chromasilk Vivid dye in violet for my purple. Its the longest lasting of all the bright colour dyes in my experience and is pretty gentle on the hair. (the bleach, however, is a different story) Pravana is a licensed only product, so to buy it you'll have to search ebay or get a hairdresser friend to go shopping at a beauty supply shop for you. Its around $8 a tube and I get about four years of use from a tube for my streaks. I touch them up every six weeks or so.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mmmmm, camellia oil soaked boxwood comb--my hair loves it!
    Journeying from tailbone to my goal of 52"

Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

I'd also go with the Manic Panic suggestions.