Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any vegetarians here?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Any vegetarians here?

I've been vegan/vegetarian since childhood. I've never had a problem with being healthy or growing my hair.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I DO know a case where one actually started to shed a lot because she went vegetarian, so that was a bit strange. But she does have a chronic disease, and her body is probably not balanced so that might have been a factor involved there.

I have been vegetarian mostly vegan myself for almost 4 years now, and my hair is still very healthy, healthier than before! But I think me joining LHC is a contributing factor it that one too

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    short/BCL/knees
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I have been a veggie for over 10 years now & my hair is very healthy. I am glad you are considering joining us veggies! It is a great way to be!

Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I have been a lacto-ovo veg since 1999. I have experienced no difference in my hair growth or health. My hair still grows wicked fast.

Length
    SL/APL/hip ?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Happy hairy vegan here

It was by far the best decision I've ever made! Try it and if you feel like it's a problem you can always go back.... but I promise you won't
    Trimming every 8 weeks...
    Still have some old bleached ends to get rid off

Has it grown yet? Has it grown yet? Has it grown yet?...

Type
    1c/F/i

It's actually not that easy to ensure that you get a good amount of protein when switching to a vegetarian diet unless you re-learn how to put together meals. When I first became a vegetarian, I made all the same meals I used to, but only ate the vegetables (for example, I'd still make pork chops and potatoes and carrots for the family, but I'd only eat the potatoes and carrots). I didn't understand, and hadn't learned, how to combine foods to get complete vegetable proteins.

It didn't take a lot to learn (i only needed one or two good vegetarian cookbooks, both of which were given to me as presents, so that was great) - but I *did* have to learn. You can't just eat part of what you were eating before and get enough. Now my diet includes legumes, quinoa, way more nuts and seeds, eggs, etc., so that each meal has at least one good protein source.

I had a friend who went vegetarian and ended up anemic and had to be put on medical supplementation. She grew up in a family that ate meat, but almost no eggs, nuts, legumes, and she said, "I didn't know how to feed myself right as a vegetarian." She tried again, learned how to make more vegetarian main dishes (like falafel, vegetarian chili, quiche, etc.), and has been doing great for the last ten years.

After seeing Food, Inc, I could never eat meat again! It's also been shown in several studies that a vegetarian diet can add years to your lifespan. And more than one triathlete has sponsored vegetarian and vegan programs and talked about the high levels of protein needed by triathletes, and why a vegetarian diet actually can deliver better protein for muscle development. But it is worth learning to do it right, so that it can be a permanent lifestyle change that will enhance your health for years to come.
    Last edited by dropinthebucket; May 26th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

TrudieCat

There are many ways to eat and still have a balanced diet. Making sure you get all the nutrients you need in your diet is what will make you healthy, not how you get those nutrients (i.e. from meat or not). I've been veggie for years with no ill-effects on my hair or body.

It's fun to learn to cook new foods and develop new ways of eating!

Length
    chin/waist/clssc
    Type
    3a/3b/C/ii/iii

I've been something in between vegetarian and vegan for 10 years.
    Make sure you get everything you need, and you and your hair will be just fine(:

Insta: @giftedcursed

Length
    15/16.5/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

A bunch of people have already said this but I want to reiterate how important it is to educate yourself about a vegetarian diet. Seriously!

I see too many peers switch over to a veg diet without really knowing what they're doing and they end up so unhealthy (either they get too skinny, or rely too heavily on crap foods like fries or cheese pizza). However, with a little knowledge, it can end up being the best decision you've ever made for yourself (I maintain that it is for me!) and you'll find that it can be totally healthy and complete. Good luck! You'll love it!

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I've been a vegetarian for 5 years and have no problems with hair growth or health. Do be sure to study up on healthy vegetarian eating!
    January 2012