Thread: What should I do with my hair for prom?

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default What should I do with my hair for prom?

My hair is just slightly beyond waist length (as you can see, my sig pic is from nearly 3 months ago) and very thick (5" circumference, freshly washed). My sig pic is a pretty good approximation of the colour.

My dress is red and quite like this except it's ballerina length (a couple of inches above the ankle) and the skirt starts a bit higher. It's backless to just above my bra strap (so having my hair down covers the entire backless part of the dress and then some).

Here's the killer: I'm growing out neck hair and cannot wear my hair entirely up. Nu-uh. I have yet to find any way of pinning it up that lasts more than 30 seconds or so and I haven't worn my hair in anything but a plait for months because even a French braid looks ridiculous. I'm just gonna grin and bear it because hopefully, by the end of the summer, it should be okay for me to pin up. The only thing that might work is some kind of headband?

I have a side fringe (bangs), which is currently just below eyebrow length, though I can trim it if a style would work better with it shorter (I do my own).

I am open to heat, hairspray and and all other kinds of abuse just for this one night. I have straighteners but no curling iron; it's possible that I can borrow one though.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    12 in/Waist/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: What should I do with my hair for prom?

You should definitely do loose romantic curls, you could do a test run one night before prom to see how they turn out (you can also use a curling iron)

Or half ups with flowers and braided accents look really pretty on long hair!

Dunno if it's your style but do what you like! It's your prom. What does your dress look like?!

Congrats!
    Progress Album Tailbone by 2013!

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I think that a half up would look pretty. Maybe to braid the sides & clip them back. I have seen that style before & it looks really pretty. Then curl the rest.

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

That's a pretty dress. Would your neck hair situation allow you to do a low bun to one side with a flower or other decoration?

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'd probably try for french or dutch braiding the front into a sorta headband and curling the rest into loose curls. I think down and curled is definitely the way to go though!