Thread: Lilith's Apothecary's DIY oil recipe for wooden combs

Length
    Chin/29"/35"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Lilith's Apothecary's DIY oil recipe for wooden combs

I am a big fan of Lilith's Apothecary on etsy. She posted an AWESOME recipe on her blog for oil to be used on wooden combs. The recipe is very simple in itself (jojoba), but she offers a bunch of different ideas for combinations of essential oils to add:

http://lilithsapothecary.wordpress.c...ish-your-hair/

here is the "recipe" : (her blog post is a good read as well!)

Aromatic Hair Care Oil

Start with 1/2 oz. of base carrier oil, such as jojoba oil. Be sure to use only pure essential oils, not synthetic fragrance oils. You can add to a comb or brush as described below and comb into dry hair OR you can add a few drops to your scalp, especially if you have a dry scalp, when hair is wet and allow essential oils to add conditioning fragrance to your hair as it dries.

Try any of the following blends, as your needs dictate:
    Soothing Scalp Refreshment Blend: 2 drops rosemary, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops clary sage, 2 drops jasmine absolute
    Fragrant Garden Blend: 2 drops lavender, 2 drops rose geranium, 2 drops ylang ylang, 2 drops patchouli
    Conditioning Blend: 2 drops Roman chamomile, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops sandalwood, 1 drop jasmine absolute
    Earth Blend: 2 drops rose absolute, 2 drops patchouli, 2 drops sandalwood, 2 drops lavender
    Healing Scalp (anti-dandruff) Blend: 2 drops cedarwood, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops rosemary, 2 drops tea tree.

Directions:
    1. Fill a 1/2 oz. dark glass dropper bottle with the carrier oil and essential oils.
    2. Add 2-3 drops of hair care oils directly onto a hair brush or comb before using. If you have a wooden comb, the oil can be rubbed directly onto the comb. The oil conditions the hair as you brush or comb.
    REF: Colleen K. Dodt, The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body, MA: Storey Publishing, 1996.

I couldn't decide which combination to use so I just used jasmine and lavender EO's for my test sample. I would really like to try the conditioning combination though once I get a dark dropper bottle.

I am a big fan of her face care stuff but I didn't know she was into hair as well since she doesn't make any products for hair.
    I thought it was cool that she is offering a simple recipe to people without making it herself and just selling it

btw here is her etsy shop for anyone interested: http://www.etsy.com/shop/lilithsapothecary
    Last edited by ancilla; May 16th, 2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added link